Medtronic Interstim - Dr. Guerette, VA

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
mgail

Medtronic Interstim - Dr. Guerette, VA

Post by mgail »

Hey everybody.

Thanks to Stephanies a month ago or so, she told me about Dr. Nathan Guerette in Richmond. (Female Pelvic Institute of Virginia).....After doing several weeks of urodynamic testing on me, which I failed, 3 main options were another nerve block (1st one by another MD did not work), Botox injections (sometimes causing incontinence and takes months to wear off), and the Medtronic Interstim Device was originally developed for incontinence/bladder issues, but is now being used somewhat in complex pelvic pain. I went in yesterday to be hooked up for my 1 week trial. It it helps, I will be able to have a permanent implant.

Yesterday's procedure began whith a lidocaine patch placed 2 hours before the procedure along with a dose of xanax. The Medtronic rep is there monthly to be present for the trial implants. Even though he did give me numerous shots into the area for pain, it was incredibly painful at times nearly sending me through the roof (my pain is due to several severe falls causing pelvic/coccox trauma). I asked him if this is the norm and he said no, I have so much scar tissue/arthritis that it was actually crunchy in the area where he was placing the needle to thread the wires through, one on each side of the coccyx. The rep showed me how to use the control device (cannot get anything wet so sponge baths for a week until I go back). I only am hooked up to the right side until Monday, then switch to hooking up the left side. They need to see which side helps the most. Today I am obviously sore, but since I am not sitting a lot it's too early to see how much it will help my burning pain with sitting. Tomorrow I work (at home doing medical transcription) so will be the first full day of testing. At this point I only have it set to a 2.5 out of 10. When I turn it up more I get an unpleasant tingling in my groin/labia area, but I'll just have to play with it and see how it goes. I'm very impressed with Dr. Guerette, he has excellent credentials and I feel very confident that I have found someone near me that at least knows that PN is and has some options to help. If anyone is in Virginia, here is his link:

http://www.fpmiofva.com/

Gail
Violet M

Re: Medtronic Interstim - Dr. Guerette, VA

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for the info, Gail. I sure hope this works out for you. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
sleeram

Post by sleeram »

Hello, I am looking for a doctor that can give me a trial of the Medtronic Interstim. I'm a 62 yr old male and have had PNE/Pudendal neuralgia for 25 years! I live in Lynchburg, Virginia..

Any feedback would be great...Thanks, Sherman
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

There is a Dr. David Gordon in Maryland who I have heard good things about of you can travel a little to see him.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Grammy

Post by Grammy »

Any good doctor in New England area?.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”