Nerve stretched vs compressed etc.

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Frank

Nerve stretched vs compressed etc.

Post by Frank »

Does anyone know if there are any indicators that a nerve has been stretched vs compression or just pinched , irritation or whatever the hell happens to these nerves that messes us up? Is it worse if it is stretched?
Violet M

Re: Nerve stretched vs compressed etc.

Post by Violet M »

Frank, that's a difficult question to answer because it would depend on the severity of the stretch and the severity of the compression. Also, with a compression you may also have an accompanying stretch if the nerve cannot glide during movement.

The following information from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons website may help answer your question about nerve stretch injuries. It is a discussion about the brachial plexus in the arm but you could extrapolate the information to other nerves.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00678

According to this .edu website http://nerve.wustl.edu/nd_compression.php if there is sensory or motor loss from a nerve compression you may not have a full recovery. I know of someone once who had a tumor removed from her leg and lost sensation in that area for 12 years but the sensation did eventually come back so I don't think you can make a blanket statement that sensory loss can never be recovered but it may be an indication of more permanent nerve damage.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”