Newbie hello and painkiller question

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.

Newbie hello and painkiller question

Postby PEARLY » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm

hello all.

Little background. In Feb I had a large endometriosis mass removed - 6cm. Due to the position I have to have an ileostomy and ureta reimplantation and full hysterectomy. After the 9 hr surgery I noticed I was numb on my anus and on the right hand side at the top of my leg, my feet also felt and still do like they have pins and needles. Where the catheter was lying it felt like electric was running through it and when they eventually removed it 12 days later that is when it really kicked in with electric shocks literally making me jump. Couldn't sit down at all for 7 weeks. The told me they had to cut the pedundal nerve to remove the mass and to expect issues.

Well 8 week after the surgery, feet still numb, numb bum but finally able to sit down for over 30 minutes with no worries.

Then I have the ileostomy reversed 3 weeks ago .... I am now feeling very sorry for myself. Can't sit down again comfortably I have to wiggle and then can manage 5 minutes so spending all my time lying in bed. When I walk I feel like I have literally been kicked in my anus. My buttocks feel like I have been down the gym working hard and my bowels well I am going at least 25 times a day (down from 60) as I feel really hypersensitive and as soon as anything is in that vicinity I have to run to the loo. The place the catheter was now feels like nettle stinging. walking around it feels horribly uncomfortable and like I am about to lose control of my bowels (though this is not the case as it happens even after going) I also have no sensation in my bladder, no idea when I am full and can't feel it when I go. I have days when I have to try and force it out then others that it happens without effort.

I only had tramadol from the hospital to deal with the surgery pain but this does absolutely nothing at all to me. Paracetamol is more effective. I am going to go to the GP this week and want to ask for a painkiller so I can perhaps function for some of the day. She isn't very clued up and the hospital drs said to keep with the tramadol. Is there a family of painkillers that is more helpful than others to lessen the pain a little?

Also, can I possibly take any hope that as I felt improved 8 weeks after the last surgery that maybe things will settle again? Wishful thinking?

thank you for reading
PEARLY

Re: Newbie hello and painkiller question

Postby Violet M » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi Pearly,

Sorry to hear you have been through so much since your surgery. I guess it's impossible to predict how you will respond and heal from the second surgery but I wish you a successful recovery.

Regarding medication, everyone responds differently to various meds, but on our website there is a comprehensive discussion about many of the available options. You can find it at the following link: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/20. If you can find a good pain management doctor that might be a good way to go since it sounds like your regular doctor isn't too confident in figuring out what medications to try.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Re: Newbie hello and painkiller question

Postby PEARLY » Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Thank you for the link Violet
PEARLY

Return to WELCOME CENTER