New to the forum...a few questions

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.

New to the forum...a few questions

Postby Hopeful54 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello everyone!
This is my first time on this forum. I come to you needing advice. I have been struggling with IC for 4 years. I am feeling pretty good as far as pelvic pain goes (due to my Elmiron). However, 5 months ago I developed new symptoms after using an estrogen cream that was meant to be used topically but I used it vaginally by accident ( thinking it was my previously used vaginal med). I grabbed the wrong cream. Anyway, I developed an awful baseball size rash. Since then, I have had a persistent hypersensitivity on the clitoris. This sometimes radiates to my tailbone. My PT believes it will gradually get better with PT and the correct dose of estrogen. I am not having any improvement. I mask the discomfort with a 50 mg Tramadol and a half mg Ativan. That is the only think that provides some relief. I have been trying to wean off this because I know long term this is not good. I started Cymbalta yesterday. Has anyone found relief with Cymbalta? Also, could my nerve just be temporarily inflamed? I can't imagine living like this forever. So many meds cause memory loss...and this scares me so much since my mom has early stage Alzheimer's. So I try to stay clear of Elavil and Lyrica. Could those meds be used short term to heal the nerve? I am praying this will heal. How long does an inflamed nerve take to heal? Any comforting words of encouragement would mean the world to me. Thank you so much.
Hopeful54

Re: New to the forum...a few questions

Postby janetm2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:45 am

Welcome Hopeful54,
I understand the memory loss issues and they seem to be temporary while taking the lyrica medication. Memory improved once I was off them but I am still on Amitriptyline (elavil) and I read it could contribute to Alzheimer's. A chance I have to take since by the time I found out I figured I already was on that for years and do not want the shooting pain to return. I hope your PT is correct and things will sort out in time.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms (per colon-rectal dr.) treated by ElectroGalvanicStimulis(EGS). 6/27/10 sat too long on a hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, spine pain dr cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain started/surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job and join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone!
janetm2

Re: New to the forum...a few questions

Postby Violet M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:42 am

Hello Hopeful,

Since it was a rash, it seems like it would have affected the smaller surface nerves rather than main trunk of the nerve. Or the other possibility is the irritation from the rash caused the pelvic floor muscles to go into spasm and getting those calmed down via PT, TENS unit, and alternating hot/cold sitz baths with epsom salts might help. I used to do them 4 times a day and it was very soothing as well as healing. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5267
Are there any topical creams that relieve it -- like vagisil or something compounded with ketamine/gabapentin?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Return to WELCOME CENTER