Bowel movement problems

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
TraciO

Bowel movement problems

Post by TraciO »

Hi I'm new to this site. MVA in 2009, severe pelvic ring fractures bilateral hip injury. Multiple surgeries. Pain in right buttock feels like I'm sitting in a rock a lot pressure. Numbness in right side of vagina and down backside of my right leg and foot. Have a lot of problems with bowel movements having BMs everyday pain and nausea anyone else have problems with there bowels.
TraciO

Re: Bowel movement problems

Post by TraciO »

I have not been diagnosed with any pudendal nerve damage at this time I live in Arkansas and if you say pudendal nerve they look at you like your crazy. I have appt with Dr.Hibner in Oct.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Tracie,

It is common for people with PN have bowel problem. Part of the reason could be that the pudendal nerve innervates the anal sphincter, or it could be related to the pelvic floor being overly tense. Constipation can be a problem with PN.

With your history of MVA I am wondering if you had an MRI to rule out any problems at the lumbosacral or lumbo sacral plexus area. Do you have a good physiotherapist or manual therapist to assess for any musculoskeletal issues?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
TraciO

Post by TraciO »

Thanks for your reply, I've had many MRI but problem is I have so much metal plate about 10 inches across scrum area and hips and pelvis the metal makes everything so distorted. As far as the care I need I would have to drive 2-3 hours.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Oh, well the metal definitely complicates things. Driving that far for PT also complicates things but maybe you could at least have an evaluation and maybe they could give you some techniques to use at home. Hopefully Dr. Hibner will be able to help you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
TraciO

Post by TraciO »

Thanks again for your response. Hoping evaluation will get some answers. Maybe home exercise program. Glad this organization is here, this is a horrible disorder that needs to get more attention. I was a nurse before the accident changed my life. Sad that most of the doctors I have seen don't really have a clue about the pudendal nerve.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Traci,

You have certainly been through a dreadful life change from the MVA. I hope you will be able to find some answers and some treatments/therapies that help.

Violet
ccuser

Post by ccuser »

Hi,my first post here( woman aged 34)any one has tight anal sphincter like i have to toe touch before bowel movement to relax my sphincter ,the seated position makes it worse.I can void snding but needs my stools to be super soft.
I cant sit( due to hooked coccyx) and hard stools make it difficult to void.I don't know if the sitting problem is related to voiding problem.its mostly the internal anal sphincter that is very tight.The external feels okay.Its not that i have n urge to void,my digestion is good .suffering since almost 6years.
Recently I had an ultrasound of my perineum and it showed that there is a small hypoechoic lesion(benign) near my anterior anal canal.Its approx 6*5 mm and almost I can feel it beside my internal anal sphincter.Could this be causing tightness of anal sphincter??
None of the docs tell me what this is?they dont this lesion seriously.Im going suicidal.
April

Post by April »

ccuser,

That sounds difficult. I would think that a 6.5 mm lesion near your anal canal would cause problems. What have the doctors said about the lesion? Do they think it is playing a role in your constipation? What do they think caused it?

Are you taking a stool softener and/or a laxative? Those may not solve the problem, but they can make it easier to go to the bathroom and may reduce your discomfort. I'm on both (because constipation is a side effect of my medication), and they work well. They're both over-the-counter (although they are both prescribed). The stool softener is DocQlace Docusate Sodium, and the laxative is Senna Tablets (Walgreens brand) (it has 8.6 mg sennosides). The laxative is described as a "natural vegetable laxative."

Others who know more about medicine on this forum may be able to give you more info than I can about the lesion, but the problem sounds like something that can be addressed.

Take care,
April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I wonder if the lesion could be on the nerve that controls the sphincter and affecting the tension of the sphincter muscle. Have you had a PNMLT yet to check the motor function of the pudendal nerve to the anal sphincter?

Violet

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”