Anyone having Hypersomnia with chronic nerve pain?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.

Anyone having Hypersomnia with chronic nerve pain?

Postby Nadir » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum. Looking for help on delayed Hypersomnia, brain fog and fatigue that developed after 3 years of chronic pelvic pain post recurring UTI. Can anyone please help me?

Regards,
Nadir
Nadir

Re: Anyone having Hypersomnia with chronic nerve pain?

Postby Violet M » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:01 am

Hi Nadir,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't heard of this problem being associated with nerve pain before. Are you on any medications that would cause excessive sleepiness? Have you had other possible causes of hypersomnia ruled out -- such as sleep apnea?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Postby Nadir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Violet,
Sleep apnea has been ruled out. Problem started while I was on paroxetine..could it be prolonged withdrawal symptom of the drug. But having perception anamoly as well whenever there is excess sleepiness. Also, can you please help me with info on heel pain....looking for some pain relief in heel in right foot with right lower back pain which has recently started with chronic right side PN pain....is it due to muscles in hip/ plantar fasciitis due to standing or nerve cross talk??

Nadir
Nadir

Postby Violet M » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm

One of the possible side effects of paroxetine is hypersomnia. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23809402
I don't know why you might experience during withdrawal from the drug other than to say that SSRI's are powerful drugs. The exact mechanism of action is unknown but it is thought to affect the chemicals at the synapses of the nerves and there can be powerful withdrawal side effects. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1122195/

I can't say for sure what would be causing the heel pain, Nadir. I had heel pain and was able to solve it using Dr. Scholl's heel inserts all of the time in my shoes. But I also had pain in the right lower back, right glute, and right PN area because I had sacroiliac joint dysfunction, pelvic misalignment, and sciatic pain from piriformis syndrome. I also had numbness in my R leg and foot.

Since your pain is primarily on the right you might need to be checked for sacroiliac joint dysfunction, pelvic misalignment, or other pelvic musculoskeletal anomalies. Are you able to find a good PT or manual therapist to check for these?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Postby Nadir » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Great Violet that was helpful. Really appreciate your reply. God bless. Hope you recover completely very soon. I'll check with my Orthopaedic and hope he refers to a good PT who can evaluate me thoroughly. I have got flat foot as well and have read lot about Pudendal neuralgia and issues with lower extremity and pelvic alignment and lower extremity issues. Do not know how worse these all pains will end up being...I hope there is some end to extent to which my body parts are involved as every few months new pain is emerging.

Nadir
Nadir

Postby Violet M » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Nadir,

When I was going through the worst of PN I was getting frequent new pains too. I think the reason was because more and more pelvic muscles went into spasm due to referred pain. Often there is more than one thing going on with PN. I think the important thing is to find the root cause. For me it was due to the ligaments compressing the pudendal nerve. I have been doing very well now for 10 years.

If your problems originated with UTI's maybe your pelvic floor muscles went into spasm as a result of the pain from the UTI. Were the UTIs definitively diagnosed with bacteria cultures or did they just base the diagnosis on your symptoms? The reason I ask is because the symptoms of PN can be similar to those of a UTI since the pudendal nerve innervates the bladder sphincter. If the cultures showed a positive diagnosis of bacterial UTI, then you could suspect that as possibly what triggered your symptoms. If the UTI's were diagnosed based on just symptoms without doing a culture for bacteria, then you might consider whether they were actually symptoms of pudendal neuralgia that were caused by irritation of the nerve at the bladder sphincter (or somewhere along the pudendal nerve proximal to the nerve endings at the bladder sphincter) by something other than a UTI. Hope that explanation makes sense.

Violet
Violet M

Postby Nadir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 am

Hi Violet,
Recurrent UTIs were confirmed with positive bacterial cultures and high pus cells in urine with fever. UTI caused chronic spasms. I guess muscle spasm in the hip and pelvic floor is causing foot pain in addition to PN pain
I guess I need to do more research on muscles.

Nadir
Nadir

Postby Nadir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi Violet,
I was wondering whether your pain in different areas was caused by central sensitisation of PN which was resolved after your PN decompression surgery? Or your foot/leg pain resolved before PNE surgery?? I am trying to understand whether PN central sensitisation or changes in muscoskeleton in hip/pelvis caused by pudendal neuralgia led to pain in leg/foot etc....also can chronic pain on one side lead to pain on other side at later stage?

Nadir
Nadir

Postby Nadir » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Violet,
How can I share this inspiring link with everyone on Pudendalhope....https://unstoppable.me/life-lessons/#

Nadir
Nadir

Postby Violet M » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 am

Nadir wrote:Hi Violet,
I was wondering whether your pain in different areas was caused by central sensitisation of PN which was resolved after your PN decompression surgery? Or your foot/leg pain resolved before PNE surgery?? I am trying to understand whether PN central sensitisation or changes in muscoskeleton in hip/pelvis caused by pudendal neuralgia led to pain in leg/foot etc....also can chronic pain on one side lead to pain on other side at later stage?

Nadir

I had some leg/foot numbness on the same side as PNE due to piriformis muscle spasm but that resolved after surgery. For me the PN pain spread throughout the pelvis over time and I did have some pain on both sides but it was always worse on 1 side.

The heel pain did not seem to be related to PNE at all.

Violet
Violet M

Next

Return to WELCOME CENTER