cheap homemade PNE car seat

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
HerMajesty

cheap homemade PNE car seat

Post by HerMajesty »

OK let's see if this works: trying to attach below a pic of my car seat I use in my sedan bucket seats, to make driving a non-traumatic experience. The front section goes under the thighs, and side portions support the sides of the butt, leaving pudendal / sit bone area totally suspended over the bucket seat wwith no contact. I have been happily using this one for 9 months now, so it is much more squished looking than in the pic! Ingredients: Pool noodles & dusct tape. I really hope this image shows once I post! if not, I failed once again, and you can PM me with an email address if you want me to send it to you as an attachment.
car seat.jpg
car seat.jpg (9.84 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
HerMajesty

Re: cheap homemade PNE car seat

Post by HerMajesty »

It worked! I can't believe it! this was like my 10th try!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

That is great HM!!! Now my hubby has a weekend project :) Thank you very, very much for posting this!!!

Hugs,
Grace
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

FYI to hubby, pool noodles cut perfectly with serrated - edge knife. Front portion is one large hollow pool noodle cut into thirds, sides are small solid pool noodle cut smaller than in half: there was a short piece left over for my daughter to play with in the tub.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

How ingenious!! You should trade mark and market it! Kudos to you, Hermajesty! :P
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Great idea. Thanks for sharing!
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Quilter 2

Post by Quilter 2 »

Hi HM;
I just saw the pix and I love it. My husband did something for me, made of cardboard and of course duct tape. If I get a pix and figure out how to upload it, I will.
Doreen
Five pudendal nerve infiltrations with good results.
Sixth Injection left me with more burning, more pain, pain in buttocks.
Botox shot didn't notice any difference
Physical Therapy - Aquatic and Myofascial
External and Internal Manual Therapy on the obturator muscle.
3T MRI with Dr. Potter
2nd opinion with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix
Loretta Robertson PT Phoenix
Decompression surgery Nov. 1, 2011
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi "Her majesty'
Thx for posting this idea
I think I may've tried ur car seat idea a few years ago but may try it again.
My pain is anal/rectal throbbing, finally diagnosed correctly after several years, as a severe spasm that probably has been caused by years of clenching my pelvic floor muscles out of fear,
Too much research ,etc and an anxious personality wreaked havoc on my pelvic floor.
I also have been voiding dysfunctionally for decades trying to get that last drop of urine out for relief and thus tightened my pelvic floor.

I used to have sit bone pain as well, but the anal pain is worse, so its hard to tell if the sit bones hurt when I try to do any activity involving sitting.
Driving is the hardest as one must "sit'. full on.. With other activities I kneel on a cushion concoction that's not great but has allowed to do many activities in the past year or two ---- eating out, parties ,even major league ball games.. It's quite painful sometimes, then others I do ok...Usually afterpain is wors than the pain at the time. Getting out and being active has been my salvation thankfully and I am much healthier these past few years, in so many ways, but the pain/throbbing is still there.
I am a different case than most folks here, as Ive come to realize that my fear of the pain is my roadblock to getting rid of it.

Sorry to digress. Just wondered if the pool noodles hurt your sit bones once they area taped down as in your pics.
Our noodles are hard material and I would think they would hurt, especially the 2 noodles on the side that ur sit bones must rest on.
Guess it depends on where ur pain is coming from..

Im writing yeara later, so u may not even use these anymore, but if you can remember could u pls reply and tell me how they worked for u?
Thx very much!

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”