cushion ideas

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
kathyd

Re: cushion ideas

Post by kathyd »

Hi Patrick
I have the expensive roho cushion and haven't been able to use it ... the fingers seem to push and irritate my painful areas ---currently the anal area and spreading on around the butt cheek etc. Its a spot that gets pressure etc no matter how you sit.

What you described with the elastic bands does sound good.. sorry if I sound dense but what exactly did your PT do to the "fingers".. in the desired spot?

Did they wrap an elastic band around it so that the fingers are deflated and in effect, flattened all the way down.?
Would love to able to use my Roho.
Thanks for any direction..
Kathy
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Kathy,
I also have a roho and when they worked with me to determine whick fingers to have at lower heights they did just what you said and then also taped the deflated finger(s) down as well so it was as completely flat as possible. Good luck
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Janet,
Thx for being kind enough to respond. Where is your your pain? Are you able to sit on the cushion now? I hope so!
I will have my husband try to do this.
Thx again! Good luck to you too.
Kathy
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Kathy,
My ppain is rectal but not as "touchy" I guess as yours. They only did the deflate and tape to determine which fingers in the center and more in the back center needed to be at 2" then outlined with 3" and all the rest are 4". It worked so well I got two one with a new wheelchair for home and one for my old wheelchair I use at work. I work about 5-6 hours mostly sitting at work and with the new acupuncture treatments and lowering pain I may be able to work more. I do hope this helps you to sit at least for a bit of extra time and enjoy something or at least lower the pain for some kind of useful activity.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
lindsayg

Post by lindsayg »

The best cushion I have found is the Twin Cheeks pillow from Cushionyourassets.com. It keeps all the sensitive parts off the seat from the pubis bone past the anus. You can order the firmness depending on your weight etc. Trudy developed this cushion. She had PNE surgery with Dr. Hibner. Pull up her website, under the comments section you can write her with your weight, etc., and she will tell you the best firmness for you. I have recommended this cushion to many people who have loved it. I keep one in my car, which I take into restaurants, movies, etc., and another in my house and move it from room to room.
Diagnosed with vulvadynia 2009
Diagnosed with PFD 2011 Dr. Andrew Goldstein in D.C. Started pt for one year, didnt help
Diagnosed with PN Dr. John McDonald UCLA Jan. '12
Had 3 pudendal nerve blocks with Dr. Hibner 2012
Had Botox shots Oct '12. Worked great for 6-7 weeks. Had them again Feb.14th 2013 didn't help
Am currently being treated by Dr. Prager in LA.
soula

Post by soula »

These are my cushion suggestions. I've been through plenty! http://www.pudendalnerve.com.au/2012/11 ... f-you-can/
PN since March 2007 when a fitball I was sitting on burst and I fell to concrete floor. I'm an artist, graphic designer and a huge advocate for Pelvic Pain Awareness. www.pudendalnerve.com.au
donstore

Post by donstore »

I like the wondergel cushion. Just Google wondergel. Cost about 100 bucks but worth every penny for me.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Hi im new but i found the foam kneeling pads cut out to how i want the best for the car.40 kms each way to work but after a 12hr shift im still in pain.The Roho seat in the car only put my shoulders out because of excess rolling.Thinking of glueing two pads together for more height and a bigger opening on top.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Weael
Are you using the kneeling pads as pads put under each butt cheek with opening in middle so that part doesn 't make contact.
Do u sink and make contact with the surface of the seat?

We tried to do the same with various cushions as my anal opening cant make contact or feel pressure on it or pain will kick in.. I always sink down..gravity--- even tho Im built small.

What I need is a cushion thats raises my anal area up a tiny bit so it makes no contact with the surface or gets squeezed by the cushion.
If anyone knows of cushion I could try for this, could you post or PM me?
Being able to drive again would gvie me back my life? (not be mention being able to eat at the dinner tablel rather than stand (which hurts as well)
Thx
Kathy
bikelover

Post by bikelover »

Kathy, both the twin cheeks or the ICN cushion do this.
You could very easily make one of your own too.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”