Mattresses for Bed - Pudendal Nerve issues /Piriformis

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
caz72me

Mattresses for Bed - Pudendal Nerve issues /Piriformis

Post by caz72me »

I've just returned from 2 weeks at my parents in Ireland, whilst there my pain reduced and I put it down to the fact I was not sat at my desk at work fulltime for 2 weeks therefore giving my Piriformis muscle a good break. Anyhow got home at midnight last night and went off to bed and was in considerable pain all night, cramps in my leg & feet, stinging nettle pain returned with a vengence - I have a memory foam mattress at my house (which I thought would be the best mattress for health conditions) yet my Mums mattress was a normal spring firm mattress, was wondering if others have noticed big variations in their pain levels due to different mattresses. We have memory foam due to a hip/leg problem my husband has so am dreading facing upto the fact that we may need different mattresses due to different needs, he'll be divorcing me soon lol - already says its difficult to come near me with all my pain :roll:
nyt

Re: Mattresses for Bed - Pudendal Nerve issues /Piriformis

Post by nyt »

Do you have another bed in your house you can sleep in for a night or too just to see if it is the mattress? Also, do you think the travel may have aggravated everything and thus the increase in pain? I know my pain is often delayed and if I sit too long I have a terrible night and worsens my piriformis syndrome and get worse in the morning.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
caz72me

Post by caz72me »

Might be able to swap mattresses with my son's bed at the weekend rather than kick him out of his lol :shock: Hubby will just have to cope for a couple of nights.

I'm sure the travelling probably did aggrevate things, although I wasn't in half as much pain in the car as the trip over.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I found a HUGE difference in changing beds. Both good and bad. But I would also thing that the plane ride "over the pond" is the thing that would make it flare up for a while.

I find that when you travel you are excited and happy and that is one of the best pain killers. So the nerve may not have flared up as much on the way over. Once you get home you are no longer in the "vacation happy" mode and all the stress and travel that you put on the PN are going to flare up.

I do find memory foam is the best and "select comfort" is the WORST for me. Spring mattresses are fine most of the time. If i travel to a family or friends house for a extended time like the holiday I sometimes buy a memory foam topper once I am there.

Also www.woot.com, a part of amazon, has good deals on memory foam and it's only $5 shipping so I have even sent them ahead of time to them. I find that I need a SOLID 3" topper not the scalloped curved kind or a 2" with a 2" scalloped top. And when I leave they get to keep it. This is in the US, I have not tried this international.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
jenna

Post by jenna »

It actually depends on the type of mattress you are going to get. Considering you health conditions you must invest some time and energy into choosing the perfect mattress for you. If you've already tried out memory foam, then you can try innerspring mattress also for once, definitely after checking its quality and everything. Hope this helps! :)
greendoc655

Post by greendoc655 »

Hi there

I have had this for 3.5 years now. I'm 47. I believe my condition was triggered by terrible seating at work and my tendency to perch on the edge of office chairs. However, my mattress and sofa seem to make my condition much worse. I cannot sit on the sofa at all and my mattress gives me terrible burning especially if I sit up using a laptop. The problem actually slowly goes away if I visit family or go on holiday and comes back within 24hrs as soon as I get home. I've just had pudendal nerve blocks and steroid injections to try and calm things down but I wonder if anyone has suffered like me and got better by simply changing their mattress? I almost feel I'm allergic to the mattress; the pain goes as soon as I get up out of bed. Any advice will be gratefully received. Also.. there is one type of chair at work that seems to be OK and all the others are horrendous. I've needed to cut back to 2 days a week as sitting more just makes things worse. When the pain is bad, this causes me to rush to pass urine all the time and it certainly affects my sex life.

cheers

Matt
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

A mattress didn't made any difference for me. Can you get a new mattress that's the same brand as the one your relatives have?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
greendoc655

Post by greendoc655 »

Violet M wrote:A mattress didn't made any difference for me. Can you get a new mattress that's the same brand as the one your relatives have?

Violet

That's an option getting a firmer mattress.. plus a couch needs to go too as that's a big trigger. I presume the PN surgery was a last resort?

Matt
JeniferWilliams

Post by JeniferWilliams »

nyt wrote:Do you have another bed in your house you can sleep in for a night or too just to see if it is the mattress? Also, do you think the travel may have aggravated everything and thus the increase in pain? I know my pain is often delayed and if I sit too long I have a terrible night and worsens my piriformis syndrome and get worse in the morning.
I agree with you. :) :roll:
https://issuu.com/robert_rushford
Casasola88

Post by Casasola88 »

Same here. I started my problem when I had a memory foam. Then move one year to a spring old one. I was perfect. Move again to a foam one. It’s hell and impressive how it changes. I want to understand why! It is the material?? Position of sleeping? What do you guys recommend me to buy. Okra mattress work??

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”