Suitable cushion for recliner and/or zero gravity chair

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
david s.

Re: Suitable cushion for recliner and/or zero gravity chair

Post by david s. »

I use the double "Wondergel" cushion, for my Lafuma portable zero gravity to distribute my weight away from sensitive spots when outdoors or visiting a friend. I simultaneously use a firm (hard plastic) back support with soft, polyurethane foam and fabric cover to support my SIJ, which was weakened by a Houston, Tx. surgeon, who destroyed my sacrotuberous & sacrospinous ligaments during pudendal nerve decompression surgery. In my home, I use a Backsaver zero gravity chair, which I find much more comfortable than the portable zero gravity chairs (Lafuma makes the best of these). I see Backsaver is currently out of stock.
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Thanks for sharing what helps you be more comfortable, David. I have heard other good reports re the wondergel cushions; they now export them to the UK (where I am) so I might get one of those :)
egley

Post by egley »

I just wanted to add a tidbit on massage chairs (zero gravity or not).
There are 2 kinds of basic massage chairs I've discovered. The latest are called L instead of S.
S is the original style. The shape of the track the rollers follow is an S shape following your spine.
The L tracks fold around and come underneath your legs, so that the rollers can massage your butt.
IT tends to leave an indentation in the middle - nice perhaps for PN sufferers.

I have been looking at a model at Brookstone) and it is similar somewhat to the toilet seat. There's not much pressure where it tends to irritate my PN. But I would prefer to try it out for a very long time, which is pretty much impossible in the store.

I have been very tempted to get one, but the cost stops me, and the fact I'm not sure it would continue to satisfy once I sat in it for a long time. This one at Brookstone is around $3K. :( But they keep putting it on and off sale, usually around 3-400 $ cheaper.
I've found some less expensive L-tracks around (Amazon and ebay), but I really don't want to spend that kind of money (saw an OSIM for ~ $1700, but one has to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee to return it) without being able to actually sit in it first.

Cheers!
Skip
Right testicle pain started ~2005
Stanford Pain clinic (~2007).
Dr Weiss diagnosed PNE; said I needed to go to Hibner for surgery (2010'ish). Sorry, no surgery for me.
Neuro-stim (~2012) caused horrible back pain - removed; pain pump 13 or early 14.
Pump brings pain level down by ~ 50%; Prialt and fentanyly in pain pump
Since going on disability much easier to control pain levels with bedrest - Carmichael throne helps too.
Since fusion at L2/L3 pain meds decreased by 50% ! Yesss!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hello to Dusty and everyone!

Sorry for not answering ur last question, but I have stayed off the boards for a long time!
Hope you are all doing well.
Dusty, about the Roho LTV cushion, it's a rectangluar cushion sectioned in air pockets.. you can see a pic of it if you google Roho LTV cushion, as Im sure you have probably done by now! You can inflate it to your preference with a pump that comes with it.
I don't use it much any more since my anal rectal opening is my pain area and I have to use a cushion that allows the area to not touch it.

BTW I like your idea of a commode...Could u pls. tell me more about what it looks like? Is it low to the ground?

I picture the commode my elderly mom uses next to her bed so she doesn't have to walk the bathroom etc.
Is there a picture I could google?
If can sit comfortably on a toilet then maybe ur commode idea would work for me.
As of now I.m still using my cheap "tush cushion" over a bubble/waffle cushion when I go places, I kneel on them but its not ideal as It digs the sole of my feet into the sit bones..
Thanks for any info and Happy Mother's Day ladies!
Kathy

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”