PNE, my story and my cushion, it works for me.

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Mike H

PNE, my story and my cushion, it works for me.

Post by Mike H »

I just found out about this site today and I'm ecstatic that there is a source for us to inform and learn.

Hi I'm Mike. First off a little back story, I have been suffering from PnE for almost twenty years. Being a guy and considering the times doctors relegated me to the "must have a prostate problem" category. I saw so many doctors who did all kinds of horrible things to me including put me on experimental antibiotics the made me hallucinate, vomit, and have seizures. For years no one could help me, I was depressed and desperate for my normal life back. I'm sure some of you can relate. Anyways I finally saw a doctor who told me I have a headache in the pervis so I needed to sit on a donut cushion. Of course I didn't want to sit on a donut cushion just because it looked so silly. I use a cushion called the TheraSeat. As far as how it's worked for me it's been amazing, I feel like I have got my life back and I'm 95% of where I was before my injury and that's fine by me as I never want to go back to that place I was before my cushion.

Please reach out if you have any questions as I have other things that have worked for me and would love to share with everyone how I got my life back.

Thanks

Mike
kathyd

Re: PNE, my story and my cushion, it works for me.

Post by kathyd »

Hi Mike,
I'm so happy for you that you finally found a cushion that works for you, and sorry that it took so long.
I can well relate to your story... after many years of doctors who either didn't understand pelvic pain enough to give a clear diagnosis, or who weren't willing to spend the time etc.
My issues are a bit different, but the situation is quite similar.
Tho I'm able kneel on the cushions I have (due to the work and the re-assurance of a very good Phys therapist, ...Ive seen some mild improvement, and can dine out, and be more active. It still causes pain during and after,but it's soo worth it, and I usually bounce back to baseline..

Her encouragement has calmed my nervous system down a bit ,( thankfully), as I clench my pelvic floor when I'm stressed, scared etc.
So I still have a ways to go before I get a "normal" life back as a wife and m other of 3 teen-age and young adult kids.

My biggest desire is to drive without severe pain.. (my current cushion set -up is still quite painful , as it won't allow me to keep the area from touching.)
My pain area is mainly the rectal area. The muscles in that area and nearby are in spasm .. causing the pain. (long story)

Do you think the Thera-seat would help with sitting to drive, by being able to avoid contact with that area? (not sure where your pain is?)
A friend of mine who I met online ordered it as well, but her pain is in her thighs.. She is doing ok but still evaluating it.
I am about 5'6' tall, about 128lb..
Just having my independence back, and being able to drive whenever I want to, would mean the world to me.
Thanks for any info on this seat and
Good luck with everything!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Folks,
I just wanted to ask ...for those of your who do suffer from pain in or near the rectal area of the buttocks, have you found a cushion that allows you to drive with at least minimal pain?
It doesn't have to be perfect, just tolerable!
I have to get creative to keep my painful areas from rubbing against the seat, but as yet our cushion set-ups haven't worked that well.
Any recommendations on a cushion that helps you to drive with this type of pain would be so appreciated.
Thanks again.
Mike H

Post by Mike H »

kathyd wrote:Hi Mike,
I'm so happy for you that you finally found a cushion that works for you, and sorry that it took so long.
I can well relate to your story... after many years of doctors who either didn't understand pelvic pain enough to give a clear diagnosis, or who weren't willing to spend the time etc.
My issues are a bit different, but the situation is quite similar.
Tho I'm able kneel on the cushions I have (due to the work and the re-assurance of a very good Phys therapist, ...Ive seen some mild improvement, and can dine out, and be more active. It still causes pain during and after,but it's soo worth it, and I usually bounce back to baseline..

Her encouragement has calmed my nervous system down a bit ,( thankfully), as I clench my pelvic floor when I'm stressed, scared etc.
So I still have a ways to go before I get a "normal" life back as a wife and m other of 3 teen-age and young adult kids.

My biggest desire is to drive without severe pain.. (my current cushion set -up is still quite painful , as it won't allow me to keep the area from touching.)
My pain area is mainly the rectal area. The muscles in that area and nearby are in spasm .. causing the pain. (long story)

Do you think the Thera-seat would help with sitting to drive, by being able to avoid contact with that area? (not sure where your pain is?)
A friend of mine who I met online ordered it as well, but her pain is in her thighs.. She is doing ok but still evaluating it.
I am about 5'6' tall, about 128lb..
Just having my independence back, and being able to drive whenever I want to, would mean the world to me.
Thanks for any info on this seat and
Good luck with everything!
First off, yes I have been there. You get stressed because you have pain, and that makes the pain worse. Then daily family life, work stress, having to sit down for work, no chance to exercise, it all goes out the window and we get worse. A jacuzzi goes miles in my mind, as well walking. We have had sufferers who talk about Martial Arts and yoga helping them. The TheraSeat was designed really so individuals can go out and have dinner, use the seat in their car or on a plane. We all want out independence back but it starts with taking control, finding out what helps and what does not, persevering and not giving up. I have talked to many people who have gotten better and have a good percent of their lives back. One day at a time.

For individuals that are around your size it's bordering between the oval cutout and round. Without being too graphic, a good way to test things out is if one feels better sitting on the toilet then they might be a good candidate for the round. People that are around 100 lbs or so tend to need the oval otherwise risk falling through the round cutout.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Mike H on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thx Mike,
for the kind advice.. I will send u a quick PM.
Best regards,
Kathy

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”