Advice on sitting without cushion

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Cade

Advice on sitting without cushion

Post by Cade »

I'm going to be going out with a friend of mine for dinner and drinks soon and I will have to sit. I know, I should simply not do it at all, but looking forward to this is the first time I've been happy since I've had PN (almost a year ago). I'm simply going to go no matter what.

I've found that shifting all your weight to one side of the buttocks relieves the pressure from the pelvic area but is obviously very uncomfortable after only a short while. Putting a leg under the opposite thigh helps to stay comfortable for longer but still gets uncomfortable eventually. Slouching relieves the pelvic area but hurts the lower back after not very long. Leaning forward while using my cushion relieves all pressure from the pelvic area and is comfortable but seems very awkward to do in a social setting.

Is there any other tricks anyone has come up with for dealing with this situation in the short-term (i.e. just once for a couple of hours).

I haven't totally decided against bringing the cushion but I'd like to see if I can brainstorm some ideas first. Thanks.
Violet M

Re: Advice on sitting without cushion

Post by Violet M »

Hi Cade,

Sorry, I never had any luck figuring out how to sit with or without a cushion when I had PNE.

Good luck,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
msmith

Post by msmith »

If it's for a fairly short time you could try sitting forwards putting your weight on your thighs. You need a fairly strong chair for this though or you could tilt forwards.
rainbowbutterfly

Post by rainbowbutterfly »

This is an important topic. I have caused myself permanent (3+ years now) nerve damage on my left asscheek by sitting cross legged and leaning so all my weight was on my left. I have also leaned forward and put all my weight on my left inner thigh and caused what I think is obturator neuralgia. I have a waffle gel cushion from Bed Bath and Beyond which I take everywhere, and though I wish I didn't have to, I really do...but it makes a HUGE difference. Don't *** yourself up worse! It's bad enough having PNE.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”