Canada's Disability Tax Credit - anyone get this?

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
White Falcon

Canada's Disability Tax Credit - anyone get this?

Post by White Falcon »

I have just been approved by CPP Disability. It doesn't really help me because I have already been receiving benefits from my private insurance, and the CPP money will just be deducted. In fact, I may end up with less because the CPP money is taxable, whereas my private insurance money isn't.

There is something called the Disability Tax Credit. To qualify, I will have to get more forms filled out by my doctor, who will likely charge me $150. The tax credit is available to people who have significant trouble performing tasks of everyday life, and they list them: walking, feeding, dressing, mental functions, and life support. Sitting isn't a category. I guess sitting is so basic that the govt never even thought someone can't do it and didn't think to include this as an activity of daily living!

I would need to be impaired in at least two of the categories. Walking is one - can't stand/walk more than 30 minutes on a good day, often less. Dressing is an issue, too, but not in the way they expect - it's not due to arthritic fingers and lack of mobility that I can't put clothes on. It's very different. Same with feeding restrictions - I can't sit at the table like other people - so no restaurants or dinner parties, even family gatherings are hardly worth attending as so many events revolve around sitting around the dinner table. But this is very different from the usual reason people have trouble eating, such as unable to hold a spoon. I rarely leave the house. (How many social functions involve laying down - and no sex?!) Yet I don't fit the govt idea of disability tax credit.

So I don't know if I will qualify. I'm wondering if anyone here has applied for this, and what happened. Thanks.
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS
Skylar

Re: Canada's Disability Tax Credit - anyone get this?

Post by Skylar »

Hi White Falcon,

I applied and was granted the Disability Tax Credit in 2010. My family doctor's comments on the form were restricted to Part B, Effects of Impairment. Like you already noted, the application form doesn't really work for PN issues, there are no appropriate check boxes to tick. Our submission was a brief written description concerning the pain, physical damage, symptoms and their impact on my ability to walk, sit and function normally in daily life. I don't know what in particular we said met their criteria but it was approved.

All the best,
FG
Last edited by Skylar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.
Chex

Post by Chex »

I was thinking of applying to tell you the truth, but I have been working presently...that's the thing. I am torturing myself daily. I have to to pay the bills. I can't see CPP granting me disabled if I am working right now. but I really shouldn't be...at least for awhile until I can nix this thing. the problem is too that Ih ave my own business and would lose clients if I stopped working for awhile. How long does it take to get approved or denied? Can I submit my froms without the dr forms, just to secure my place in line? And then send the dr. forms as they come available? I'm waiting on appointments. ( one with Dr. gordon in toronto) Please inform me of any information you know. Thank you so much.
White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

Thanks, Fall Girl -- so there is a chance - I didn't want to spend the $150 for my doctor to fill out the forms for nothing. It's so stupid that it isn't automatically granted with the CPP disability - I've already sent the govt a huge whack of information - far more than the tax credit form requires. Thanks for the tip about the letter. I will do that, too. The form and the categories really don't convey the whole picture.

My neighbour qualifies for this disability tax credit, even though he works full-time, parties regularly until 4 a.m., and lives what appears to be a normal life. BUT, he has an ostomy bag due to severe Crohn's disease. If no one told you, you wouldn't know about it. He goes to the swimming pool and can use the sauna and hot tub. But the ostomy bag means he doesn't have normal bowel function, so he qualifies. I don't begrudge him the credit, but it seems bizarre that someone who is able to work full-time gets a disabled tax credit, and someone who is rarely able to leave the house may not qualify!
Hysterectomy July 2010
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

Hi Chex,

Some of your questions might be answered on the CPP Disability website, if not give them a call. I'm not sure what their wait times are for processing applications. It may be possible that you can apply while still working. Maybe reducing your clients would be an option for you?

If you haven't already done so, make an appt with your family doctor and take a copy of the form along for discussion. You've already been thinking about it so maybe it's time to put that plan into action. I hope things work for out for you.

Hi White Falcon,

That's the government way, two different departments who can't link their clients needs together even if it makes sense, is more efficient and less costly for applicants. And then they make disability pension taxable. Jeez loueeeze!!

Wishing you both all the best,
FG
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.
White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

Hi Fall Girl,

Just a few questions to clarify -

On your forms, you (or your doctor) didn't tick off any "cumulative effect of significant restrictions" in any of their categories, such as walking, feeding or dressing? Your doctor only completed the Effects of Impairment and nothing else on the form?

Also, the brief written submission - was that written by you or your doctor?

Thanks so much. Hopefully, you will get it again this year, too. It's too bad that you still qualify.....
Hysterectomy July 2010
Chex

Post by Chex »

I just wanted to update. I applied to CPP last February. I received a letter this week saying that I was not accepted. I'm ok with it, since seeing Dr. gordon and him having a line up of treatments for me coming up. They wouldn"t give it to me becasue they say the condition is not severe and prolonged. ( wait until one of them gets it..ya) But also, because I kept working they said it couldn't be severe. Obviously they do not know the hell I have been through trying to continue working,,tears, suicide thoughts and all. I hated to get up in the morning and have to do it all over again. but I was too afraid to stop working and lose my income and lose my clients in my business, when I wasn't sure if I would get accepted. But as I said, I am hopeful of getting better now with Dr. Gordon on board.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chex, can you hire a disability attorney to help you? You would have to pay them a fee of course but at it would be better than nothing, right?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
khushfehmi045

Post by khushfehmi045 »

I didn't want to spend the $150 for my doctor to fill out the forms for nothing. It's so stupid that it isn't automatically granted with the CPP disability - I've already sent the govt a huge whack of information - far more than the tax credit form requires. Thanks for the tip about the letter. I will do that, too. The form and the categories really don't convey the whole picture. ?

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”