Pregabalin long term

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.

Pregabalin long term

Postby Holly » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can comment on long term use of Pregabalin and what risks this exposes one to?

Recently I was encouraged by my doctor to come off Pregabalin to see how well I could cope without it. The answer is not well at all and I have been taking many more Codydramol than I was when using Pregabalin.

Which is worse?! Long term Pregabalin or fairly frequent codydramol? If they are as bad as each other (in different ways) it would be useful to know!

I'm in the UK. Pregabalin costs the NHS a lot, I'm sure this contributes to it being treated cautiously.

Holly x
Holly

Re: Pregabalin long term

Postby Violet M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Holly,

I think it's hard to say because sometimes a drug that has been considered safe for years turns out not to be so safe. https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/is-l ... e-thought/

Here in the US, acetaminophen was always considered safe until they discovered too much causes liver damage. As far as the opioid in codydramol, I am not aware of serious long term side effects from the codeine other than addiction and tolerance.

Lyrica is a relatively new drug so it's hard to predict if it will eventually be shown to have bad long-term side effects but so far I'm not aware of it having a bad reputation. It does affect some people with short term side effects though.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Re: Pregabalin long term

Postby Holly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Thank you Violet. Obviously quality of life is a factor I need to discuss again with my GP and weigh this up with everything else.

All the best.

Holly x
Holly

Return to PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS