Pain meds

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.

Pain meds

Postby esthome » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Childbirth has caused pain that's never disappeared. Foreign body feeling and aching rectum and a prolapse op to hopefully ease pain has now caused back pain due to Central Sensitisation. That's the opinion of surgeon and pain Dr. I've been on pregablin for 3 years now and have reduced it from 600mg as I didn't feel it was helping and so I'm on 300mg now and 40mg impriamine. I've tried Cymbalta but that was no help. I feel there's nothing left for me to try. A lidocaine infusion did sod all too. Acupuncture did nothing as did CBT. I'm 37 with 2 young boys and I am determined that this will not destroy everything for me. Any suggestions very welcome
esthome

Re: Pain meds

Postby April » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Esthome,

That sounds difficult. Have these doctors suggested any other procedures or other medications? About a year ago, I was using only ice to deal with my pain and it was tremendously difficult to manage, so I finally started experimenting with different medications and found a group of them that work pretty well together. Now I have to ice in only about 1/3 of the time (instead of all the time). So, you could try experimenting with a few more medications to see if that helps. I'm on gralise (which is extended release gabapentin), tramadol, nortriptyline, and tolterodine (along with a laxative and stool softeners). It's not an ideal long term solution, but I am grateful that I can function more normally. Have you seen a pn surgeon (e.g., Hibner)?

April
April

Postby esthome » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for replying April. I've not seen anyone else but the consultant I saw who did prolapse op but he has been to Nantes and trained to do decompression surgery. He thinks I have Pudendal nerve irritation rather than entrapment as I don't have relief on toilet seat and my rectal pain is actually worse when I stand. I don't know why my back hurts now, and worsened again after a laraposcopy. I can't sit now as back pain comes on. I think a play on meds is the best option. I need something. Do you overcome the constipating factor with your laxative regime? Many thanks
esthome

Postby April » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 pm

The stool softener and laxative do overcome the constipation. I take DocQlace docusate sodium stool softener three times a day and the Senna-S laxative once a day. Both were prescribed by my pain doctor but are over-the-counter. I get the DocQlace through my mail order pharmacy, because it is much less expensive through them than at a local drugstore, and I get the Senna-S at Walgreens. And if those two medications aren't enough, you can increase the stool softener and probably could increase the laxative as well (e.g., add a half pill). My pain doctor did reassure me that these two over-the-counter medications are safe, but if you wanted to try a non-medical route, I think others on the forum have had good luck softening their stools by taking magnesium. You could do a search for that word.

I also don't have the dramatic reduction in pain when I sit on a toilet that others have. For me, sitting is not that different from other upright positions, so sitting on a toilet doesn't change my pain much. For me, the big difference is lying down or reclining vs. all the upright positions. So I'm not sure those Nantes criteria are a perfect indicator (I also used to wake up with bladder urgency (before taking medication for it), and I still wake up with burning pain sometimes, so I don't fit that criterion either). But, as with you, I'm trying medications and other steps before I think about surgery. I do only take one 50 mg pill of tramadol a day, so it does wear off by afternoon, but that is by design. I didn't want to be on it all the time.

April
April

Postby Violet M » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 am

I didn't fit the relief of pain on a toilet seat criteria or the not waking up at night criteria either.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Return to PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS