My Best Trick for Pain Relief

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Violet M

My Best Trick for Pain Relief

Post by Violet M »

I had a lot of increased burning after surgery that eventually faded away (after many months). What helped me get through the worst of it was to alternate sitting in a shallow tub of very warm water and a shallow tub of cold ice water. The tubs were up on crates in my bathtub.

The crates were like: this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Fil ... 6/14138976
http://tinyurl.com/nmju4lh
The shallow tubs were like this: http://www.walmart.com/browse/storage-o ... 828_163961
http://tinyurl.com/nlcbjzx

The alternating hot/cold was invigorating and brought fresh blood to the area -- maybe why I recovered so well?

I used a kid inflatable swim ring to sit on. I know this sounds really crazy and it may not help everyone but it was a lifesaver for me.

Violet
Last edited by Violet M on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kathyd

Re: My Best Trick for Pain Relief

Post by kathyd »

Hi Violet
Thanks for posting your pain relief trick.
I have a question about how you set it up...Did you put these (bins) - they look like the kind one stores clothes in etc)
inside your regular tub and then put your buttocks (sorry to be so explicit!) inside the bid of either cold or hot water?
And why did the bins have to sit on top of crates?( like the egg crates in your link)

Not sure Im understanding your setup....Don't mind my denseness!
but why not just lie in an actual bathtub of of war water and then one of cold water... Is it cause of the time constraint in running a bath of one temp and then another temp etc?

It sounds like a good idea...I don't have burning pain, but instead its always been intense throbbing....which went to anal area and surrounding spots and increased dramatically in intensity after nerve surgery with Dr Dellon , and more so as time passed..
Could you explain why you set it up the way you did if you don't mind, instead of just lying a regular tub?
Thx so much in advance
Best of luckl
Kathy
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Right, I put the shallow tubs of hot and cold water on top of the crates in a bathtub so I could transfer back and forth quickly and because for me it was very uncomfortable sitting in a regular tub. The instructions I had received from a nurse who is into natural healing was to sit in the hot water for 2 min and then the ice water for 30 seconds alternating 4 times and always ending with cold. It would be too hard and take too long to keep changing the water in the tub. I kept a pitcher of water nearby so I could keep adding hot water to the hot water tub. I think I also kept some ice cubes nearby to keep adding to the cold tub.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thanks Violet
for explaining..
Im glad that it helped you and I can see how it makes sense.
It can't hurt to try.

I usually don't have buring pain..... mine became throbbing anal pain and tight spasms in the right vulvar perineal area when trying to pee....
This pain came on just about 2 years ago.. 3 mos post surgery (nerve resection)

Could this help throbbing pain, if its neuropathic which we all think it is? Im pursuing pain control currently but meanwhile anything to help things along naturally would be great, right!

I also have a friend from these board who has severe burning pain so I will pass this info to her, as I don't think she is on the boards much lately

Thank you!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kathy, I don't know if it will help throbbing pain but it should help muscle spasms and tight tense pelvic floor muscles. The equipment is pretty inexpensive so it shouldn't hurt to try.

Violet
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

What has been working for me is to find new hobbies and things to do to get my mind off the pain.
Yes I know we are limited in what we can do. I started collecting old radios as one example.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ray, that reminds me...while I did the hot/cold water treatments I read a good book as a distraction. Anything you can do to keep your mind off the pain is good.

Violet
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Violet and Ray ,
Good ideas thanks..
Anything that grabs your attention is worthwhile!
I too, find too that the best medicine for me is distraction when possible. I like shopping, even if I don't buy a thing.
It helps with morale to be out and doing things whenever possible..
even if something increases pain, ..for me going somewhere may mean standing awhile or having to perch on a chair, etc.
Both could increase my pain temporarily,
but the change of scene and participating in life mean so much to me, that its worth it!

I also find that a restaurant may be more doable if they have bar stool chairs, where I can alternate between perching on the edge and standing..
Sometimes I take a walk, or if necessary, lie down in the car while waiting for the food to come..
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Just posting to bring this thread up in the list.

Violet
rechbill

Post by rechbill »

Fentynal is my best trick. It is a cancer pain med and is 10 times stronger than morphine. I don't think I would be here without it. My pain wae 8 to 10 without it and 3 to 4 with it. I am down to 2 some days, but on other days I need additional morphine to sleep.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”