anal pain- diazepam suppositories

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
nebbias01

Post by nebbias01 »

I have just started on diazepam suppositories for my anal pain and I am experiencing some relief from the severe burning. I feel a little numbness and that is better than the burning. I am on loads of pain meds that don't seem to be helping. Lo and be hold I try this little 2.5 mg suppository and it is like magic. I have experienced pain relief from other meds and seem to have become tolerant and they lose their effectiveness. Has anyone tried these and what has been your experience?
nebbias01
nyt

Re: anal pain- diazepam suppositories

Post by nyt »

I also use diazepam suppositories for rectal pain but I use them vaginally and not rectally. I have found they are the only thing that has ever helped my rectal pain. Glad they are helping you.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
HeleneGail

Post by HeleneGail »

Who prescribed these suppositories for you?
nyt

Post by nyt »

Dr. Carrillo
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
knitwit

Post by knitwit »

Funny,I was just going to post the question "WHAT HELPS YOU RECTAL PAIN" one thing that does help me is a Valium/baclofen suppository. It has 10mg Valium 15 mg baclofen long ago prescribed by Dr Quesadas, but thank God, my new Drs have continued with it.

I would like to know from others what they do, because after 10 years of this I am about out of my mind. I am scheduled soon for a pain pump, but, unsure that will be the final thing that does the trick. I have been down too many bad roads......appreciate any responses! Josie
knitting keeps me sane!
knitwit

Post by knitwit »

Funny,I was just going to post the question "WHAT HELPS YOU RECTAL PAIN" one thing that does help me is a Valium/baclofen suppository. It has 10mg Valium 15 mg baclofen long ago prescribed by Dr Quesadas, but thank God, my new Drs have continued with it.

I would like to know from others what they do, because after 10 years of this I am about out of my mind. I am scheduled soon for a pain pump, but, unsure that will be the final thing that does the trick. I have been down too many bad roads......appreciate any responses! Josie
knitting keeps me sane!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi,
this is an old thread, but just wanted add a comment and question.
I also use Baclofen/valium supps--- but in a smaller dose for my rectal pain. (mine is throbbing) .

My supps may be too low dose --only 4mg Baclofen and 10 of valium.

Josie , Hi, I'm glad your supps are helping a bit! Do you notice any side effects?. I take my supps usually twice dally and am attributing any digestive side effects to my pain pump, which continuously drips my moderate combo of Dilaudid and Bupivicaine into my body.
But wondered about any effects from the supps? I think this is less likely, based on my experience with valium and also research.

Since the pain pump helps only minimally, I want to up the suppository dosage, or try other options.. But my pain doc wants me to keep hitting the button on my pump, whenever pain or discomfort issues worsen. This releases more meds at a pre-set -level. He wants me to try this for 2 weeks before we move on to other options. This seems risky to me as more opiates means more bowel issues! The pump meds slows the digestive system, but I also know my pain issue -- a spasmed anal/rectal area is probably the biggest culprit, and the fight or flight it creates in my cental nervous system..
I have gained weight and look much healthier than I did a year ago, when I started with my pain doctor, ]
so he feels I am improving. tho I still feel pain, and symptoms. Guess it could be a slow process, etc,?
I also attribute any improvement however slow, to my great PT who is knowledgable, and explains clearly whats she feels is going on, and what she is doing etc.
My best therapy is getting out to do something fun that will take my mind off it. It helps, eps if it's something you enjoy, not something boring like grocery shopping ( tho necessary!)

BTW My pain doc refers me out to GI docs...tried 2 of them ==both suggested over the counter options.. both of which were not that effective over long term.. How many docs can one see?? Who has the $$ or the time?
Wish it was like the old days ( before my time!) when one doc treated it all!

BTW is it true that If you use Miralax for a few days, it will finally kick in and then work regularly?, It has not done much for me unless I either combine it with another over the counter med or double up on it.
Magnesium in various types is another option I am trying, depending on how my system and bladder reacts.
Was told by my compounding pharamacist - who is familiar with my case, that Magnesuim citrate is more effective than the Magn. malate I ve been using.

For me It seems to truly be tight muscle issues ,as a glass of wine (which is approved my doc), alleviates my pain and allows me to kneel for dinner, better than all the pump meds and supps! I have it with dinner, only occasionally, and I'm okay that night, but symptoms return when I get up and moving in AM.
The relaxation of muscles must be the key for me..
Hope all all are doing well tonight.

Josie --if you see this, could you pls email or pm me to discuss your rectal supp dosage, if you would. Are you still considering the pump?
Thx and hope you are doing well.
Kathy
knitwit

Post by knitwit »

Kathy I PM'd you ~ Josie
knitting keeps me sane!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Josie
How are you? I started a reply to you but didn't get a chance to finish it...
Maybe I'll send you what I have and then send you the rest later. ( if I can find it!)
Meanwhile hope you are doing okay. Sounds like upping the amount of either baclofen or valium insuppositories could help,
God-willing and based on your experience and others here.
My compounding pharmacist agrees.
Ill send you my current post and finish it later.
Im thinking of you and wishing you the best,
Kathy

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”