B6

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
jaxi123

B6

Post by jaxi123 »

Does anyone take this and see any improvements?
Alan1646

Re: B6

Post by Alan1646 »

I took it for a year but it made no difference. But compared with some other options it's cheap and may be worth a try. What did help when I developed pains in my feet was vitamin D supplementation. I had a blood test for vitamin D and was found to be low. After taking the vitamin D for a few weeks the new pains in my feet disappeared. Or instead of taking vitamin D tablets just get out more and walk in the sun for a while every day , if you can. Walking in a green , natural environment helps too. There's some recent research showing that pain can be reduced by exposure to the colour green. I've found going for long walks in the park helps-and it's free.
http://www.painresearchforum.org/news/7 ... means-stop
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
RJR

Post by RJR »

Be careful with B6, as it can be neurotoxic at elevated levels (easy to research on the Internet). I started taking a B6 supplement when I was diagnosed with PNE. A year later I started to develop tingling in both feet, as well as a frequent sensation of "vibrations on floor" while standing. Also, burning feet sensations began. My neurologist at Johns Hopkins did a complete workup and found that my B6 serum level was 10Xs normal (1000%). Needless to say I stopped the supplement stat. The vibration sensation and burning sensations stopped after a year, and the tingling has diminished to barely noticeable.

Below is an excerpt with a simple search on Google:
The current recommended maximum daily intake is 100 mg. High doses of vitamin B6 can, over time, be toxic, and may result in nerve damage or numbness and tingling in the extremities that may eventually be irreversible. You should discontinue use of supplemental B6 if any unusual numbness develops in the body.
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
jaxi123

Post by jaxi123 »

A chiro urged me to take this
RJR

Post by RJR »

10-4. If you are concerned, reco you seek a B6 serum test to see if you are B6 deficient.

I was taking a common B complex and a daily vitamin. Not even taking a separate B6, yet my serum reading went sky-high.
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Amy01

Post by Amy01 »

I take it with other medicine not sure what worked but my pain is releived

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”