Adding Cymbalta to enhance Gabapentin

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
guitarprof1968

Adding Cymbalta to enhance Gabapentin

Post by guitarprof1968 »

Hi All,

My wife has Pudendal Neuralgia and Endo. She has been treating it for 2 years now through the use of Gabopentin. The pain management docs recently upped her dosage to 2400 mg a day. They are suggesting adding low doses of Cymbalta which they say can enhance the nerve blocking effects.

What re your experiences with adding this combo?

Many thanks,

PH
Violet M

Re: Adding Cymbalta to enhance Gabapentin

Post by Violet M »

Sorry to hear your wife is going through this.

I have not tried that combo of meds but have heard it helps some people. Due to the differences in genetics it can be difficult to predict how a drug is going to affect someone so we often say around here -- you just don't know until you try it. My one caution about cymbalta is that it is in the SNRI class of drugs. They are powerful drugs affecting the neurotransmitters and it can be difficult going off of them, so I think it would be wise to taper off of it slowly if she ever does decide to quit taking it. Just my 2 cents after reading many people's stories and from my own experience with a similar class of drugs.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”