Cymbalta

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Grammy

Cymbalta

Post by Grammy »

I have recently weaned off Effexor XR and I am having severe issues with anxiety and depression. March will make year twenty four for me. I would like honest answers about trying cymbalta. I tried it once several years ago but can’t remember why I stopped. If this does not help, then it is back to Effexor XR for the rest of my life....the withdrawal was hell on earth but I had taken it for ten plus years. I was recently told that my Effexor dosage of 75 mg was way too low for all these years. So please if you like cymbalta even for depression and anxiety let alone pain relief, please post. I lost my husband of fifty three years, and the added stress has tanked my anxiety and depression. I am a loss soul and need some advice! Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!
April

Re: Cymbalta

Post by April »

Hi Grammy,

I have never taken Cymbalta, but I did a search to see if it was similar to anything I do take, and it sounds like it is somewhat similar to nortripyline. If you google cymbalta vs. nortriptyline, you can see a side-by-side comparison, and they sound similar. Both can treat depression and nerve pain. I have been happy with nortriptyline. I mainly added it to my list of meds, so I could get some help sleeping through the night (I was waking up to go to the bathroom and re-ice), and it does help with that. I also think it helps reduce the nerve pain. When I first started it, I noticed a small improvement, so I even asked for an increase in my dose. Right now I take 50 mg every night. It would not be enough on its own, but I think it is a valuable part of my medications. And I do not notice any major side-effects beyond sleeping a little more than I used to. So, you might give it a try if you aren't happy with Cymbalta.

April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I tried switching from lexapro to cymbalta but I didn't like the side effects of cymbalta. Each person's genetics are different though, so it might work for you. I've read that a combo of cymbalta and lyrica together are more effective than either of them are separately.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
anne77

Post by anne77 »

I tried switching from lexapro to cymbals as well, and I did not like it at all either!

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”