Sayer Clinic, London

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Juno

Sayer Clinic, London

Post by Juno »

After 7-8 years of pelvic pain with various diagnoses, including vulvodynia and pudendal neuralgia, I found Michael Durtnall's clinic through pudendalhope. I live in NW England, therefore, it was a big commitment, both financially and time wise. I started to see Sofia, who assessed my pelvic floor muscles, which were very tight and full of trigger points. Sofia did warn me that it was going to take a long time and that a positive attitude was required. So true! I initially attended weekly sessions of 1 hour, and Sofia gradually managed to get the muscles to relax. Sofia identified that I also had a coccyx problem and referred me to Dr Michael Durtnall, who conducted X-rays and told me that my coccyx was stuck in a downward position, probably as a result of various falls I had over the years. I continued to see Sofia and Michael regularly, occasionally seeing either Marta or Karolina, the two other physiotherapists who are trained in pelvic floor treatment. All of them are excellent. It has been a long and sometimes difficult journey, particularly as I was advised to avoid sitting. I wondered how on earth anyone can manage without sitting and indeed it is not easy. I eventually discovered that I have pain with prolonged standing, due to a back problem that I probably caused myself with sitting in poor posture to guard against the pelvic pain. I came to hate the train journey to and from London, but that's another story. It did occasionally feel as though I was in a vicious circle and it's a good job that I'm not easily put off. Anyway, 10 months on and I do believe that I have made significant improvement. I have a way to go yet, but the flare ups are fewer and tend to be less severe. Sometimes I can go for days or weeks with very little pain, but it varies. I do gentle stretches daily, yoga, lots of walking, abdomal breathing, meditation and have acupuncture nearer to home. Everyone I have met at the Sayer clinic has been very friendly and professional and they clearly have a lot of experience in dealing with PN or other pelvic pain. I know that it's still going to take time, due to the length of time I have had this problem and the fact that my central nervous system will undoubtedly be affected. I have found a physiotherapist nearer to home who thinks that she would be able to continue my treatment and if this is successful, Sofia has offered to help by sending my notes to the new physio. For anyone who is struggling to find a suitable therapist, I would recommend the Sayer clinic, even if it means travelling a way.
Violet M

Re: Sayer Clinic, London

Post by Violet M »

Glad to hear you are doing better, Juno. I wish you continued success with PT.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Pinklady

Re: Sayer Clinic, London

Post by Pinklady »

Hi, I am also from NW England and had Vulvodynia for 7 to 8 years. Could I ask what your symptoms are. Mine are burning, pins and needles, heavy feeling, slight PGAD. Many thanks Janet

Return to “UK & IRELAND”