Dr Michael Durtnall

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
cjmca

Re: Dr Michael Durtnall

Post by cjmca »

Alan1646 wrote:
cjmca wrote:Frankly, I don't believe half of the "evidence" posted on the internet. Besides that, measuring the effectiveness of a drug is far easier than measuring the effectiveness of a physical treatment. Personally, I think chiro can help with pudendal nerve problems, as I said before, if the hip or spine is out of alignment. No drugs are going to fix that. The only way I felt I could get a definitive answer as to the state of my skeleton was via a chiro. Then I happened upon a chiro that also took into account the state of my pelvic floor, which was an added bonus. Michael Durtnall is not just a chiropractor.

I think Violet has provided more than enough information for people to make up their own minds as to whether trying chiro is an option for them. For me, it was part of the diagnostic elimination process, and I'm glad I went. We all have to take risks in deciding whether to go for treatment or not.

I took amitriptylene and it made me horrendously depressed within the space of a week, I ended up suicidal and in hospital. Stopped the drug, and that feeling disappeared. Just because there is evidence of the efficacy of a drug and the dangers of chiro, doesn't mean there aren't dangers of a drug and benefits of chiro for someone else!
I'm not clear whether you are saying that Dr Durtnall has cured you of Pudendal Neuralgia. Are you better now or are you continuing treatments with him in the hope of improvement? Many studies have shown that skeletal abnormalities are normal: very few people have perfect "alignment". Many, many people have bulging discs but no pain at all.https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php Or was your PN caused by surgery that went wrong somehow?
"The basic problem with structuralism is that biomechanical factors have surprisingly little to do with pain problems. The two things correlate poorly. But structuralism is deeply embedded in our cultural consciousness, and we cling to the idea that aligned and symmetrical must be the best way way to be, and we suffer in proportion to our deviations from that diagram. That equation makes intuitive sense to us, and we’re just not going to give it up easily!"
Hi Alan

First of all I want to say, because I've neglected to say it, that I'm very sorry you're in pain. I can only empathise. It's very tough to be in this situation.

As I said, my visit to Michael Durtnall was part of a process of elimination. Nobody has perfect alignment, sure. But I have a few health problems that I was concerned could contribute. I went into early menopause in my early 20s. Can't have children, and the lack of estrogen has affected everything in my body. My breast tissue is abnormal, have terrible memory and concentration, my ovaries shrivelled up and died, and my bones are in a bit of a mess. I also had a tummy tuck in January of last year, which has, unknownst to me, tightened an already tight pelvic floor. I was also training for a marathon at the time, and I very stupidly did Kegels as part of my training. Big mistake. As part of my training I had gait analysis done by Saucony, which showed I had a locked hip and my right knee turned inwards, both things Michael Durtnall flagged. He told me there was nothing to worry about with regards my bones, keep doing what I'm doing (HRT). He evaluated my pelvic floor and red flagged it. He also red flagged a disc in my neck which is pre arthritic. So no, he didn't cure my PN. I will follow up with him with regards to my neck and posture, which is shocking. On his advice, and the advice of Maeve Whelan, I will continue with physio treatment to address the hypertonic pelvic floor.

How did you find your treatment with Michael Durtnall, did he find anything to explain your symptoms?

I wish you best of luck with a solution to your pain, please keep going. I had wondered are stem cells an option - im signed up to a study in London on reversing early menopause using stem cells. Probably won't get called up but it's an interesting area, even though the evidence is sketchy!

Clare
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Alan1646 wrote: I tried so called "therapies" that weren't evidence based because at the time I hoped there was a slim chance that they might work.I was wrong. I did that because I'm human and humans make mistakes sometimes, especially when they're in pain.
Alan, I did the same thing when I went for surgery. The published evidence based literature sounded good but I had no guarantee it would work and just went for it hoping against hope that it would. I think that's what everyone with PN does to some degree. They try what they think might work for them and hope that it does. So you are definitely not alone in this.

I think the health care professionals are in a difficult place too because they are also human. They have all of these patients who want to be fixed but they aren't able to fix or cure everyone. When I see a healthcare professional getting additional training to help their patients in new ways I believe that says something about them.

Good luck Clare getting into the study -- I hope it helps you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
cjmca

Post by cjmca »

I've followed the published literature, and not followed it, and in both scenarios it's been to my detriment and benefit. Really do think that PN is something that unique for many individuals, unfortunately! I'm off to have pulse radio frequency on the nerve next Weds, couldn't find much literature on it at all - "relatively new", but I trust my pain consultant and hope it'll help sort me out.

Clare
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I've tried both too, Clare, with good and bad results. Hope PRF works for you Clare. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”