Gabapentine and what next?

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Late Owl

Gabapentine and what next?

Post by Late Owl »

The last five months have been truly a nightmare. The pain which used to be only on touch at the entrance to the vagina spread to the rectum making sitting so painful. The area is sore and burning. At the beginning of September I went off Amitriptyline and was put on Gabapentine gradually building it up to 600mg. Then the severe headaches, shivering and sweating started on top of nausea and dizziness. Just weaning off now and side affects are more or less gone but my pain of course is back. Waiting to see a physio on nhs but think doctor doesn't know where to send me or what to give me.You feel so lost with all this. I don't see much chat on our uk site..does anybody have any advice how to move forward. Wondering if anybody knows of any new treatments or professionals to see here in the uk. Thank you.
P.s Why can't the nerve be killed off?
Andy_Pablo

Re: Gabapentine and what next?

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Hi there. Im sorry that you are suffering from this horrible affliction. I would not wish it on anybody. The team at Bristol are very knowledgable about the condition. Might be a start to get your GP have you seen by Dr. Greenslade at Southmead hospital. He can then make an informed view on your condition & any treatments. I understand that you are probably scared & stressed about your condition. Just remember that you are not alone. I wish you good luck for your treatment & I hope that you have a full recovery.
Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit...
Late Owl

Post by Late Owl »

Andy thank you for your kind words and information. Just getting through each day is an ordeal at the moment which cannot be explained to family so it is nice to chat with fellow sufferers.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Yes, it is an unusually cruel condition & very difficult to articulate to others. I always simplify it down as a similarity to having extreme toothache in lower torso.

This site is great for information & sometimes just to let off a little steam... If you have any questions about it all, dont hesitate to ask.
Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit...

Return to “UK & IRELAND”