My amazing Pudendal Neuralgia recovery with Michael Durtnall

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
KatyD

My amazing Pudendal Neuralgia recovery with Michael Durtnall

Post by KatyD »

This is not only my story but also my journey of living with coccyx bone pain (coccydynia) and pudendal neuralgia.
Back at the end of 2012 I started to develop severe pain in my tailbone, sitting began to become increasingly difficult due to severe, severe burning pain not only in my tailbone/bum but also on the left side of my vagina internally, spreading down the inside of my left thigh.

At the start I told no one… largely due to embarrassment. I avoided sitting as much as possible and told myself it would go away. It did not. Instead it got much, much worse.

By February 2013 I could no longer sit. The emotional and psychological aspect of this was just as devastating as the unbearable pain. I could never get comfortable, not even able to lie on my back or my side at night as this increased the pain. As a result, sleep was also robbed from me. My tired and exhausted body having to carry this constant pain …, never given a chance to just rest.

My partner would find me sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night, with a pillow behind my head, a blanket around me, in an effort to try get some precious sleep. There was no pressure on the tailbone or public area due to the hole in the toilet seat. In the early hours of the morning I might doze asleep for an hour, due to exhaustion. My appetite went, due to this severe burning constant, constant pain, 24 hours-7 days a week, month after month. This combined with the emotional & physical anguish of not being able to sit began to affect every aspect of my life.

My relationship suffered… no longer able to have sex due to the severe pain. This added to the loneliness & isolation I felt. It affected my partner, we missed our closeness and being able to bond. Our love for each other never faded thankfully. What I missed most was being able to fall asleep snuggled up with my partner. Both my social life went as well as the one I shared with my partner. No longer able to go out to dinner, movies etc.

I was 28 years old. What I am trying to convey here is that living with severe pain day in, day out, month after month is not just an extreme, unbearable sensation and discomfort. It creeps and weeps away at every aspect of your life. At every aspect of your being, of who you are. Bit by bit the pieces of your life get smaller and smaller. Pain becomes the dictator in term of your physical abilities. It challenges your emotional and mental wellbeing to it’s very core.

Finding the strength to take care of your mental and emotional wellbeing is equally as important as trying to find help for your physical pain.

By now it was July 2013. I had not sat down in over 6 months. I was exhausted to my very core and desperate for help. Help was something I could not find. I had an MRI, was given 2 sacroiliac joint injections which actually made the pain worse, due to the irritation it caused, and was prescribed a cocktail of anti-epileptic and anti-depressant drugs which are meant to help with nerve pain. I was told to learn to live with it and that there were lots and lots of drugs to try. I am a qualified nurse and well aware of the horrible side effects of these drugs as well as their little effect on pain, except to drug you, dull your brain until you are foggy, cloudy almost zombie like. Instead I flushed them down the toilet every month determined not to inflict a whole new set of issues on my already exhausted body.

As far as trying to find out what could be causing this pain, well that was something that the numerous consultants I saw were not even remotely interested in doing. Awake at night I would search the internet & my symptoms to try and find someone who could help me. I came across a website called coccyx.org. This was to be my saving grace. There were lots of posts from sufferer’s similar to me. There was also a list of doctors worldwide who help treat coccyx pain, pelvic pain, pudendal neuralgia.

There was one name that kept re-appearing, crediting his worth repeatedly - Michael Durtnall who runs Sayer Clinics in London. I clicked on the website link and read Michael’s description of coccyx pain, pelvic pain, pudendal pain. As well as the treatment, he offers.

I broke down crying, finally someone who understood, was willing to treat the cause to offer long-term results and improvements. I knew instinctively that this was the right doctor & treatment for me. I was going to London!!

I travelled to London on my own, standing on the flight unable to sit. I lay in the back of a taxi from Heathrow unable to sit. I was booked in for a week of treatment at the clinic.

I’ll never forget the first time I met Michael Durtnall. His face light’s up with warmth and kindness when he smiles. There is light behind his eyes. He is truly present and actively listening and more importantly-hearing you, the patient’s voice. All of this combined with his aliveness, ability to be real, his energy and presence immediately sets the core foundation for any therapeutic relationship between a doctor & patient - trust.

Not only is Michael brilliantly talented and gifted at what he does but also it's the unique combination of his skill & craft combined with his ability to listen, to hear the patients voice, to be empathetic that brings about … healing & recovery. Not only at a purely physical level but also mentally & emotionally hope is regained, inner strength rekindled and a deep knowing in your heart that my pain will become less and my life will improve and start to flourish and flow again. The way life is meant to.

Encounters like this are rare in the medical world & I cannot write this review without speaking the truth of what I’ve experienced while undergoing treatment with Michael.

Michael Durtnall is a rare and precious gift to this world. As the great saying goes ‘What you do in life echoes for an eternity’.

Michael’s ground-breaking work in treating coccyx pain and pudendal neuralgia combined with the unique, wonderful person that he is, will leave lasting implications for years to come. As my dad would say ’He is one of the greats’.

I stayed for a week of treatment in late July 2013. I was nervous before the treatment but Michael is so professional and truly wants the best outcome for you. This helped me relax, I accepted that this was what I needed to do. I didn’t feel embarrassed discussing my symptoms with Michael. So for anyone who is scared or nervous etc, please don’t be. There is no need. This is your body, your life, what your going through is real. The internal treatment for the coccyx and pelvic floor is actually fine. You are treated with respect, dignity and privacy. Most importantly Michael explains everything to you & how its causing your pain. This in itself is liberating as you feel empowered that you can help your body heal & recover.

After a week of treatment the results were amazing. I was finally able to sit down after more than 6 months of not being able to sit. The severe burning pain reduced from 100% to 20%. I felt so much better and of course happier.

I returned in September 2013 for another week of treatment and again the results were hugely beneficial. I was able to sit for 30 minutes, go out for dinner, walk, sleep etc. Grateful wouldn’t even come close to describing how I felt. Michael gave me my quality of life back.

It’s now April 2017 and I have returned for a week of treatment with Michael at Sayer Clinic. Sadly I was involved in a very serious car crash in January 2014. I sustained serious injuries to my face, jaw, neck & shoulder. Over the past 3 years I have had a lot of surgeries, injections etc. which has left it’s toll on my body. As a result the coccyx pain & pudendal pain returned in the summer of 2016. Even though the pain is excruciating I felt strangely calm inside. I knew that I could come back to see Michael at and that he would help me. That in itself gave me inner strength & courage to cope. Due to the injuries to my jaw & neck I’ve had a lot of pain & discomfort and my digestion has suffered.

As well as helping me with the coccyx & pudendal pain, Michael is also helping me with my neck & abdomen. The results are remarkable. When your pelvic floor is all contracted and miserable with pain it effects diaphragm & abdomen. They become completely jammed up, breathing is difficult, digestion grounds to a halt. This becomes a vicious cycle. Your mood is effected due to not breathing properly & poor diet.

When the pelvic floor is released & no longer super tight & contracted it has a knock-on effect & releases your diaphragm & abdomen. I have experienced this and the results are AMAZING! It’s easier to breath, to eat but also it has a dramatic effect on your mood as you get a huge surge in your serotonin levels. New research is discovering that the majority of our serotonin is actually produced in our gut not our brain. Therefore if your gut, abdomen & diaphragm are not working properly your serotonin production is effected & lowered resulting in low mood in conjunction with the severe pain you're experiencing. This is why depression & chronic pain often co-exist. This is not your fault, your body isn’t working in harmony & balance the way it’s meant to. Doctor Stephan Porges writes brilliantly about this & has published huge research in the area. If you can it is definitely worth reading about and will help you understand what is going on in your body.

I am now at the end of my week of treatment and my pelvic pain has improved 60% in one week. I plan to return in July again for a week of treatment.

I would also like to mention & thank hugely the team of Physios Marta, Sofia & Katy who are extremely skilled in helping to formulate a recovery plan & path forward for you. This is hugely important as Michael & his team incorporate a holistic approach to your recovery and are dedicated to helping you heal & recover.

Hope has a new meaning for me now and I have Michael Durtnall to thank for that.

He most definitely can help you to improve your condition & regain renewed strength so that your life will improve.

Life is a journey, don’t stay stuck in despair & hopelessness. Take the first single step, go and see Michael, get your power back and move your life forward.
Jason32

Re: My amazing Pudendal Neuralgia recovery with Michael Durt

Post by Jason32 »

All these Durtnall one-post "reviews" have all the signs of being fake. :roll:
stuart

Post by stuart »

This tribute is dedicated to you dear Dr Michael Durtnall that brings healing to our loved ones.
In scanning this great earth, God fell upon a multitude of needs. In God's giving ways, his hands were placed on you dear Dr Durtnall to heal pudendal nerve entrapment and coccyx pain. May the angels watch over you and continue to grace you with your skills of excellence and the healing power of the holy spirit.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Can't agree more with Jason. Fairytale?? I got a lot worse going to Michael Durtnall in 2015. I was there for coccyx pain treatment and got a lot worse and ended up with PN months later with severe burning pain from clitoris to rectum. i went to him as there were many positive "reviews" on coccyx.org. as well. Same tactics? I am in an awful situation now and really regretted going to Sayer clinics. Do your research before going for any treatment blindly. You could end up worse than what you are now.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

The author suffered from the year 2012 and, we are told, "Awake at night I would search the internet & my symptoms to try and find someone who could help me". Yet despite searching the internet and despite the Pudendal Nerve symptoms, didn't seem to find this site. Or if she did find it , she didn't post on this site. Only now, after she has found a cure, is she suddenly posting here.
You might expect someone who is medically trained and qualified to be somewhat more circumspect in their recommendations for treatment for people they've never even met:"He most definitely can help you to improve your condition & regain renewed strength so that your life will improve."
So what about the people he doesn't help? Are there really none?
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Let's consider the possibility that Katy is a real person with real feelings and a real experience. Do we really want to respond to people by telling them their experience is a fairy tale, fake, etc.?

Personally, I am happy that Katy is doing better, and I extend a challenge to her to stay on the forum to answer other people's questions despite some of the negative replies. Some of us are veterans at that....... :)

Stuart, I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from but maybe your post belongs in the religious section of the forum.....?

You know, Alan, I don't blame Katy for starting to post once she found something that helped her. I do agree with you that with PN there are no guarantees and it's best not to give false hope.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

I agree that we should consider the possibility that the post is genuine. We should also preserve some healthy skeptiscism when claims are made of wonderful cures for chronic pain conditions, particularly when the cures are attributed to the skills of one individual and when there is no objective , independently verified evidence that the therapy is effective for the particular pain condition involved.

We simply have no way of knowing for sure whether any one post is genuine.Perhaps you could look at the IP addresses used , if you keep such records, and that might give you some clues. Someone who reports symptoms and treatments regularly over a period of months or years clearly has more creditbility. However, we can look at the claims made in this single post, the assertions made and consider the liklehood that it's genuine.
Is there any other practitioner referred to on this site who gets so many single , ultra enthusiatic and postitive posts? Is there any other practitioner referred to on this site who has so many patients reporting success in curing their pudendal neuralgia?
You may ask what possible motive there could be for someone writing a post that isn't genuine. I leave it to others to work that one out. I don't think it's difficult.
I really think people should be banned from writing on here that a practitioner can definitely help anyone who has pudendal neuralgia. That is simply untrue.
Also anything that uses the language of advertising should be banned.
People in chronic pain are vulnerable and often desperate for help.
Edit: I think that the poster above should take some care with using the term "recovery". It has a medical definition: "A return to a normal or healthy condition." By her own account, that has not yet happened in her case, as she is still returning for further treatment. As a trained nurse, she might be expected to know that.
Jason32

Post by Jason32 »

Note that I never said this particular review was fake- I said that "all these Durtnall one post reviews have all the signs of being fake". I was speaking to all the reviews in general, which have a lot of red flags, for example: similar writing style, overuse of personal pronouns and emotional adjectives, religious/spiritual metaphors, and a slick, well-edited narrative that always concludes with a sales pitch, making sure to name drop MICHAEL DURTNALL, SAYER CLINIC and COCCYX.ORG in the title and/or message repeatedly. None of the users posted are ever longtime members but instead are usually newly joined members who post once and leave.

I also encourage KatyD to come back and talk more about her experience. I also urge the admins on this site to look into the matter- it undermines the site's credibility as a resource for PN/PNE sufferers if, indeed, fake reviews are being posted. Keep in mind that the treatments being proposed have no peer-reviewed studies to back up the claims, so relying on credible patient testimonials is all we have. I have no personal axe to grind here- I've never been to Sayer Clinic and don't ever intend to since it's on the other side of the Atlantic for me.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

As with any post on this forum, people have to make up their own minds. If someone posts with a style of writing that sounds like an advertisement, I think most people get skeptical rather than being interested, but in some instances it is difficult to decipher what is advertising and what is genuine. If someone is clearly advertising for themselves, we ban that person but we have never banned forum members for liking a provider. IP addresses often don't give you enough information to determine whether a poster's information is legitimate.

Jason and Alan, I think some of your points are valid. On the other hand if a forum member is always in attack mode and just about every post they make on the forum is negative and skeptical of something someone else said, people get tired of that too because it appears that they have an agenda. Do you guys ever have anything positive to say?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

Violet M wrote:IP addresses often don't give you enough information to determine whether a poster's information is legitimate.
You could look at whether the positive posts all have the same IP address.
Violet M wrote: Jason and Alan, I think some of your points are valid.
Which points do you think are valid?
Alan1646 wrote:I also encourage KatyD to come back and talk more about her experience.
Yes, indeed.She has written a long and quite emotive, detailed post about her experiences and I would expect her to want to know whether people have any responses. So far however, like a lot of very similar posters, she has not returned.She has not answered any of the questions raised. I agree that the style and use of language have distinct similarities in these posts about Mr D. I find all of that very odd.
Violet M wrote:Do you guys ever have anything positive to say?
If you disagree with anything I've said, of course you or anyone else can say so and give your reasons. Whether a comment is "positive" or "negative" is a matter of personal opinion rather than a matter of fact, as well you know. We have had a series of one post claims of miraculous recoveries following chiropractic adjustments and massage. Nearly all of the posters have never posted before and have never posted again. When people question that, you call it "negative". I would call having a healthy skeptical attitude a positive thing. When people are persuaded to have expensive elective medical treatment without any objective evidence that it's effective they are quite right to be skeptical or , if you prefer, "negative."
Another very striking aspect of the posts about the Sayer Clinic, is their use of imperatives, which is a very familiar feature of the language of advertising. Here are just a few examples- there are more of course:

If you are suffering, stop, there is hope out there, go to the Sayer Clinic and get the right help, this is what they do. Marwa

If you have similar health problems, please put your faith in Sayer clinic like I did and you will not regret it. Lena

find people who can help and if you can, visit Dr Durtnall. Janesmith

Take the first single step, go and see Michael, get your power back and move your life forward. Katyd

Violet, are there any other posts on the forum that use such imperatives ? No? What is your conclusion then?

Return to “UK & IRELAND”