FAQ for Dr. Hibner's office

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
pianogal

FAQ for Dr. Hibner's office

Post by pianogal »

I recently spoke with Dr. Hibner's office manager about their need for having more clear answers for patients for some of the basic questions so that it will free up more of his time to see more patients sooner... I told them I'd help compile a list of Frequently Asked Questions so that they can put together paperwork to give to patients beforehand... so appts can be better spent getting into deeper issues and using time more wisely.

So, here are some questions I think patients would like answers from. Would you please add any questions you have so I can give them the list?

FAQ for Dr. Hibner's office: (btw, I know most of the answers... will write later.)
Describe your protocol for treating a patient. (ie: first pt, then botox, then on-q pain pump, then surgery.)
Describe PT
Describe Botox procedure
Describe On-Q pain pump (and 6 patients reactions)
Describe surgical procedure of the TG ligament repair surgery
Describe surgical procedure of the new Dorsal surgery
Describe what to do before and after all such procedures
What makes a patient a good candidate for surgery?
What are the surgical success rates?
Why not bilateral surgery? (too rough recovery bilaterally)
Why not bilateral on-q? (impossible to place bilaterally)
How soon can surgeries be spaced apart? (6 months currently)
How important is the 3Tesla MRI w/regards to locating the need for surgery and surgical locations?
Is Dr. Kalinkin's MRI at Dr. Hibner's office giving comparable results to the 3T in New York?
What studies are being done? Informal results thus far?

please add your questions. Thanks! I will give the compiled list to their office and maybe help formulate answers.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
donstore

Re: FAQ for Dr. Hibner's office

Post by donstore »

I would like to know if pudendal blocks are a necessary prerequisite for diagnosis and if a patient has had a negative impact from cortisone injections in the past, is it possible to use a numbing agent only as a diagnostic tool prior to surgery ? Also, how long after surgery would you have to wait before moderate lifting would cease to have a negative impact on recovery ?
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
nyt

Post by nyt »

This is a great idea. My current gyn who specializes in post-menopausal women gives a huge package every year with all kinds on information on hormone replacement therapy, calcium, exercise, etc. and it is all backed with scientific literature.

1. What type of medications will he put you on and why.
2. List of hotels to stay at with contact information.
3. A list of items that would be helpful to have post-op. We could easily put together a list for them ie grapper, baby wipes, metamucil and colace.
4. It would be nice to have a statement from Dr. Hibner to start the package with a statement about why he got interested in PN and what he sees as future advancements. What are his criteria for surgery.
5. What to expect during the physical exam.
6. How botox works and it use for long term treatment.
7. What medical records does he need.
8. This could easily be a multiple type package. One you get when you make the appointment and than as treatments are recommended you get additional information.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Faith

Post by Faith »

pianogal wrote:Is Dr. Kalinkin's MRI at Dr. Hibner's office giving comparable results to the 3T in New York?
I will be seeing Dr. Hibner in August and got Patty's (his RN) email from another patient on this forum. She sent me a very nice and informative email about what my consult would include and recommended that I see Loretta (PT he works with) and have my current Dr. order an MRI by Dr. Kalinkin at St. Joseph's radiology. I too am interested to know if Dr. Kalinkin's MRI is comparable to Dr. Potter's 3T. I assume it must be or Dr. Hibner would not use Dr. Kalinkin.
nyt wrote:2. List of hotels to stay at with contact information.
If you look under St. Jospeh Hopsital's website http://www.stjosephs-phx.org/Patients_A ... ors/186536 you will see a list of hotel accomodations. If you call the hospital concierge at 602-406-4949 they will email you a more detailed list with discounts you can get since you will be coming for medical treatment.

Pianogal,
I know Dr. Hibner is treating a LOT of out of town people yet I don't think their office has a good system down for managing out of town patients. Each receptionist I talk to tells me something different. When I first called for an appointment I was told my doctor had to refer me and then I called back to doublecheck and they said I could make my own appointment and that I would need to just bring my own records with me since I will have so many records from several doctors. When I asked what the protocol was for out of town patients they just said the first visit would be a consultation. I did a phone consult with Dr. Conway and their office had a system. They knew you would have an EMG, see Dr. Conway, then get nerve blocks and the office arranged all that for you. It would be good if when you call Dr. Hibner's office and tell you you are seeing him for pudendal neuralgia if they had a protocol: set up an MRI with Dr. Kalinkin (if pt hasn't already had 3T MRI with Dr. Potter), set up appointment with Loretta PT (if patient agrees since she doesn't take insurance and the initial consult is $275), see Dr. Hibner, set up CT guided injections, botox, or ON-Q pain pump (depending on what the pt has/hasn't had). I think the email Patty sent was really good and if they could just send that out to everyone when they make their initial appointment with Dr. Hibner that would save a lot of calling the office staff and asking questions. If they could get a system that would require less travel I think that would really help as we are all in a lot of pain and many of us are financially burdened due to this condition. For example: go see Loretta, get MRI if indicated, see Dr. Hibner then do one treatment i.e. injection or botox or on-q pump whatever Dr. Hibner feels best for pt. Then if patient's condition is unrelieved, within 6 weeks they should be able to come back for a second treatment or surgery. Many Hibner patients are having to wait 6+ months for an initial consult. Does this mean they are going to have to wait an additional 6+ months for each treatment? I know some of what I have suggested is probably not possible, but just wanted to throw out my opinion. Thanks for doing this Pianogal!
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

One more question (and it may not be appropriate for an FAQ), but is there a discount if you have to have 2 surgies, like if you have bilateral PN?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

Dr. Hibner cuts the ligament and then re-attaches. Instead of severing it, would he consider sectioning the ligament and going through it and then repairing it?

Emily B.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”