sciatic or piriformous?

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.

sciatic or piriformous?

Postby river133 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:29 pm

It seems, sounds like , feels like I have sciatic pain. Dr.Schultz gave me an epideral for sciatic .Again it has done nothing to change the pain and it was 3 days ago. I did google piriformous and read that it can mimick sciatic. I have had two EMG say
that it is not sciatic, and one in Ca.from Dr .Nodelman saying it was. That is when Dr, Chambi did surgery and found the mess with a bivid priformors muscle. , sciatic, pudendal pfcn and peronel nerve were decompressed by him.
This is the 3rd injection I have had for this that has not good results.
I will be scheduled for a stimulator in Dec. With Schultz. He has done pudendal stims before. The question is, Do all stimulators get put in the same? When I asked about the pump he told me they put it at the base of the spine so the medicine goes up. I would like to find a Dr.that is closer in proximity .
Dr.Schultz came in to the room and said right off. I don't know if you have pn or sciatic or if it could be other nerves. It said it could or could not be. Any helpful thoughts out there please?
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
river133

Re: sciatic or piriformous?

Postby stephanies » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 pm

River,

It is my understanding that the sciatic nerve runs under the piriformis muscle, like the pudendal. Where is your pain? Is it in your legs or do you genital/anal/sitting area or both? Did you have a block to the sciatic nerve that did not help leg pain? How about a pudendal block, did that provide any relief of any symptoms, even briefly? Are your symptoms now different than they were prior to your surgery? It seems like you don't have a lot of information about where your pain is coming from and you are facing a big decision about the stimulator. If can provide any more information, thatwould be helpful.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13.
stephanies

Postby river133 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 pm

I have tortures rectal pain. Some vaginal burning. Nasty sciatic pain, starting in my behind and going down the side of my leg into my foot. My leg is weakening on this side. Dr. Schultz said, we are not here to diagnose, but to treat your pain issues. .
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
river133

Postby river133 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 pm

Of all of the nerve blocks I have had, 6 in all, 1 numbed me and felt relief for a couple of hours., that was for pudendal pain. I have had 3 injections for sciatica and not one of them has given me relief.
river133

Postby Violet M » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:27 am

Ellie, stimulators are not all put in the same. Amanda describes the retrograde placement in her thread.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73&p=21788&hilit=retrograde#p21788

I think Dr. Ken Alo in Houston uses nerve mapping when placing the leads for a neurostimulator. You might want to ask Dr. Schultz about that.

Have you already tried a ganglion impar block for the rectal pain?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Postby river133 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you my dear Violet for the info. I did have an injection that did give me relief for the rectal burning, it only lasted a couple of hours relief. I do hope the nurse will be able to answer my questions about where the leads will be placed
I suppose every Dr, is different.. I will be back here to let you know what I find out. :)
river133

Postby river133 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Ganglion block, no, I am not aware of it. I certainly will ask about it.
river133

Postby river133 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 am

Dr. Schultz will not be able to do my pre trial until sometime in Jan. I have an aquaintance that is a anethegeologist that works forDr.Algore . His clinic is 30 min. from here. . She recommended him. I feel more comfortable getting a seond opionion. All of my records have been faxed to Dr Algore as of yesterday. . I have rushed into situations before, desperate to get some relief.
. I really dont know if the opiods helped the pain much ,although it helped me to cope much better. Maybe I will ask for something just until I am able to have the pre trial.or as long as I need them. I asked for some diazapam a couple of weeks ago and was refused. it did help the pain. I am scared half to death.
river133

Postby river133 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 am

Forgot to say that Dr,s Algore and Dr. Schultz both do the ganglion block. Is that just a few hour fix?
river133

Postby Violet M » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:40 am

Elli, that's dreadful that you weren't prescribed diazepam when it is one of the few things that gives you relief.

A ganglion impar block can be somewhat temporary but if it provides some temporary relief you can have it done more permanently with phenol which is neurodestructive.

I think you are smart to get a 2nd opinion :!:

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY