pain pump still a work in progress

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
river133

pain pump still a work in progress

Post by river133 »

We have been going to the clinc weekly for reprogramming of the pump. Yesterday they eliminated the fentinal because it was making me nauseous. .. So now I have 3 mg of morphine and and 10 of bupivicane. They did give me the PTM so I can administer to myself just twice a day to start with. The morphine is not making me nauseous and sweaty ,which is a great relief. As far as a decrease in pain,I am not noticing it , she said it is . a very slow process. I may notice I will be able to sit a bit longer
. I had a flair in my leg ,sciatica piriformis , with the nerve impingement. After 2 weeks it has settled down some. How horrible. . They assure me, it is their hope to get my pain level down to half. The medtronic ambassadors I have been speaking with tell me to hang on. Their experiences have been very positive There is always hope! ,it could take 6 months or more.
I spoke with a 75 year old women with the pump that said she was on the couch or her bed. Her husband built her a table so she could lie on her side to put puzzles together, She is now an active and busy person because of the pump.. Maybe by Xmas . :D

Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Ray P.

Re: pain pump still a work in progress

Post by Ray P. »

KEEP US UP TO DATE

THANKS
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Hoping for much less pain for you soon!
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
river133

Post by river133 »

My pump has been filled weekly,just went in for a reprogramming today. I am at .17 bupivicane and 4 mg morphine. I am allowed to use the bolus up to 5 times a day.. my piriformus pain has been flaring horribly. I can barley stand for very long and I need to lye down. It is helping some. The cnp assured me today that Dr. Schultz has been doing this for 30 years,that I am early in the program. Said "do not give up". It certainly is not a quick fix,I know that someDr.s do things differently. I know of a medtronic ambassador that it took her 18 months . I asked her what her pain level was ,she said 5%.she us 75 and has had her pump since1998. I get discouraged at times,I feel some changes for the worse with the pain in my leg. The pudendalis not my main sourceof pain any longer. I still can not sit for very long,maybe 10 min. which is an improvement. The sciatic piriformus starts in my left buttock,sharp,knife like and down my leg and foot.. All I can do is hang in there and believe what people are telling me on the positive side, :D
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Good luck, Ellie. I hope you start to see some improvements soon.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
river133

Post by river133 »

Pain pump has been giving me about 40% relief this past 3 weeks.I am able to sit for a half hour with out repercussions. :D
I am at 5 mg of morphine and 17mcg of bupivicane ,they are increasing this gradually. I am not using the bolus near as often..
It is the 1st time in 8 years that I have had this much relief. My pain is not consuming me as it was in the past. No matter how much I tried for it not to. I still need the tens unit for the piriformus pain,and the gabapentin. The combination of it all is helping .
I go in on the 22nd for a refill. Because of the amount I have ,I need to go in for a refill every 39 days. I am able to be on my feet longer, I am feeling ALIVE. The nurse told me the last time I was in that perineum pain is very difficult to treat. . At least I am feeling some relief. I do not expect it all to go away,but I am hoping for 50%. Ellie
river133

Post by river133 »

Pain pump has been giving me about 40% relief this past 3 weeks.I am able to sit for a half hour with out repercussions. :D
I am at 5 mg of morphine and 17mcg of bupivicane ,they are increasing this gradually. I am not using the bolus near as often..
It is the 1st time in 8 years that I have had this much relief. My pain is not consuming me as it was in the past. No matter how much I tried for it not to. I still need the tens unit for the piriformus pain,and the gabapentin. The combination of it all is helping .
I go in on the 22nd for a refill. Because of the amount I have ,I need to go in for a refill every 39 days. I am able to be on my feet longer, I am feeling ALIVE. The nurse told me the last time I was in that perineum pain is very difficult to treat. . At least I am feeling some relief. I do not expect it all to go away,but I am hoping for 50%. Ellie
Oh,they have me scheduled for a pelvic floor therapist on the 22nd. Do you really think at this point Violet,it will do any good?
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Great news, Ellie!
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Ellie,
So happy to hear you are finally getting some relief, hope it keeps getting better!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

river133 wrote: Oh,they have me scheduled for a pelvic floor therapist on the 22nd. Do you really think at this point Violet,it will do any good?
I don't know Ellie but I can understand why you would be reluctant to do PT at this point. It almost seems like now that something is helping you wouldn't want to risk a setback. I'm very happy to hear how well you are doing now! ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”