Severe Itching

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
jpequeno

Re: Severe Itching

Post by jpequeno »

V:
I saw the doctor yesterday since this perineal/vaginal infection from my scratching is getting worse again and need another course of antibiotics. They insisted that I come in for an exam even tho I was seen only 2 weeks ago. I asked about Vulvadynia but never really got an answer to whether or not I could have developed this.

I'm sorry, but I have to vent...
This was by far the most annoying doctor appointment ever. I'm seeing an OBGYN that also deals with PN and other pelvic issues. They have seen me twice before and each time my test results show an infection and then an antibiotic is prescribed. I've been on and off antibiotics since October of last year.

The doctor is now referring me to another doctor since they cannot rid me of the infection. That doctor is booked til May. They are trying to find yet another doctor with an earlier appointment but I'm sure I will still have to wait. They will NOT prescribe any more antibiotics while I am waiting for another doc. I will be off this planet if I have to deal with this much longer...

I'm currently taking Hydroxyzine, various antihistamines, benadryl, zyrtec and 2 different topical compound creams to help with this itching. During my visit with the doctor yesterday I was asked 3 different times if I am using any creams to help with this problem. Of course I told her, 3 times, what creams I use and the drugs in each cream. I also told her about the issues I've had caused by over-using the creams. During the speculum torture exam she stated that the area looks irritated - !?!?- Really? I have open sores and calloused skin around my labia from uncontrollable clawing at the area. I have a disgusting rash in the groin area on both sides that is irritated when walking. She said that she would prescribe a cream. I asked what drugs would be in this cream and she listed the same drugs in the cream as I am currently using... unbelievable.

I don't know if the doctor is able to comprehend how serious this problem is. During the 45 minute drive to my appointment yesterday I was hysterically crying/screaming because the itching and burning was so bad from sitting. By the time the doctor saw me I was in rough shape. I sit on a boppy pillow to drive which works well for PN pain but not for this itching.

The way I have described my itching to the doctor is as if I'm sitting on a fire ant mound. If the perineal area is even slightly touched it sets off the crazy itching. If I dare scratch, it makes the itching unbelievably worse which causes open sores. Laying down is very difficult and I scratch like crazy while I'm trying to sleep. I guess I'm laying on the nerves? I feel needles and stings when standing and walking. Maybe I should hang by my toes? Not many positions left for resting.

I'm wondering if this is the typical itching symptom of PN or maybe something else? I had a friend who suffered from Trigeminal Neuropathy and witnessed her having an attack. She looked like her face was being electrocuted and she was coming completely unglued, crying and trying not to scream. The intensity of my itching is similar so I avoid laying down, using the restroom, bending over, driving, etc... so I won't be hysterically crying.

In December I was admitted to the hospital with the cellulitis from the scratching. I asked the doctor at the ER what would happen if I was not hospitalized. He said I would develop gangrene and I would require surgery. As far as I'm concerned they can remove it now. Especially if this is going to be recurring every 2 months. I've asked the doctors about removing tissue and they look at me like I'm crazy. I guess doctors are used to patients that exaggerate how bad their symptoms are so they probably think I'm joking.

At least with the PN pain it can be sorta managed with muscle relaxers, ice, and sleeping. I just hope this crazy itching is a phase and not a permanent symptom. I'm not sure what else to do. I still don't understand if what I'm experiencing are PN symptoms or from having infections.
Pain began 2007, surgery 2008 - Dr. Ansell in Houston, TX, severely damaged nerves on both sides and entrapment areas
No relief from surgery, possible PN years before pain began
PN most likely due to extreme exercise
Tried:
SCS - 95% pain relief, removed due to multiple infections
Accupuncture - no relief
Botox - relief only 2 of 3 months of injection
RF Ablation - no relief
Current: Butrans Transdermal patches, compound cream, other usual PN meds
Pain relief typically 60-70% with new meds
jpequeno

Post by jpequeno »

V:
I saw the doctor yesterday since this perineal/vaginal infection from my scratching is getting worse again and need another course of antibiotics. They insisted that I come in for an exam even tho I was seen only 2 weeks ago. I asked about Vulvadynia but never really got an answer to whether or not I could have developed this.

I'm sorry, but I have to vent...
This was by far the most annoying doctor appointment ever. I'm seeing an OBGYN that also deals with PN and other pelvic issues. They have seen me twice before and each time my test results show an infection and then an antibiotic is prescribed. I've been on and off antibiotics since October of last year.

The doctor is now referring me to another doctor since they cannot rid me of the infection. That doctor is booked til May. They are trying to find yet another doctor with an earlier appointment but I'm sure I will still have to wait. They will NOT prescribe any more antibiotics while I am waiting for another doc. I will be off this planet if I have to deal with this much longer...

I'm currently taking Hydroxyzine, various antihistamines, benadryl, zyrtec and 2 different topical compound creams to help with this itching. During my visit with the doctor yesterday I was asked 3 different times if I am using any creams to help with this problem. Of course I told her, 3 times, what creams I use and the drugs in each cream. I also told her about the issues I've had caused by over-using the creams. During the speculum torture exam she stated that the area looks irritated - !?!?- Really? I have open sores and calloused skin around my labia from uncontrollable clawing at the area. I have a disgusting rash in the groin area on both sides that is irritated when walking. She said that she would prescribe a cream. I asked what drugs would be in this cream and she listed the same drugs in the cream as I am currently using... unbelievable.

I don't know if the doctor is able to comprehend how serious this problem is. During the 45 minute drive to my appointment yesterday I was hysterically crying/screaming because the itching and burning was so bad from sitting. By the time the doctor saw me I was in rough shape. I sit on a boppy pillow to drive which works well for PN pain but not for this itching.

The way I have described my itching to the doctor is as if I'm sitting on a fire ant mound. If the perineal area is even slightly touched it sets off the crazy itching. If I dare scratch, it makes the itching unbelievably worse which causes open sores. Laying down is very difficult and I scratch like crazy while I'm trying to sleep. I guess I'm laying on the nerves? I feel needles and stings when standing and walking. Maybe I should hang by my toes? Not many positions left for resting.

I'm wondering if this is the typical itching symptom of PN or maybe something else? I had a friend who suffered from Trigeminal Neuropathy and witnessed her having an attack. She looked like her face was being electrocuted and she was coming completely unglued, crying and trying not to scream. The intensity of my itching is similar so I avoid laying down, using the restroom, bending over, driving, etc... so I won't be hysterically crying.

In December I was admitted to the hospital with the cellulitis from the scratching. I asked the doctor at the ER what would happen if I was not hospitalized. He said I would develop gangrene and I would require surgery. As far as I'm concerned they can remove it now. Especially if this is going to be recurring every 2 months. I've asked the doctors about removing tissue and they look at me like I'm crazy. I guess doctors are used to patients that exaggerate how bad their symptoms are so they probably think I'm joking.

At least with the PN pain it can be sorta managed with muscle relaxers, ice, and sleeping. I just hope this crazy itching is a phase and not a permanent symptom. I'm not sure what else to do. I still don't understand if what I'm experiencing are PN symptoms or from having infections.

Judy
Pain began 2007, surgery 2008 - Dr. Ansell in Houston, TX, severely damaged nerves on both sides and entrapment areas
Tried:
Accupuncture - no relief
RF Ablation - no relief
jpequeno

Post by jpequeno »

Sorry for the double post, brain is shorted out.
Tried:
Accupuncture - no relief
RF Ablation - no relief
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Judy,
Hi and I just wanted to lend some moral support. So sorry to hear about the extreme itching and lack of medical help! I hope you get help sooner than later and the venting lowered your stress and anxiety a bit. Hang in there we are pulling for you. I have not had the itching, obviously thankful but the shooting nerve pain walking is always tough. Again fortunately it is short and rare. Just to let you know I have seen others post about itching as Violet said she had so I think may be related to the PN. Take Care.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
jpequeno

Post by jpequeno »

Janet,

Thank you so much for your post. It is comforting to know that I can talk to others who suffer with the crazy symptoms and understand the importance of pain control. I have only two sympathetic family members who know that what I endure is very real and support me 100%. . Thank God
Tried:
Accupuncture - no relief
RF Ablation - no relief
jpequeno

Post by jpequeno »

I thank God that one of the few that are most supportive of my health issues is my loving husband. We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and I feel that we are closer than ever.
Tried:
Accupuncture - no relief
RF Ablation - no relief
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Judy,
Congrats onyour anniversary, we just celebrated 24 and I understand how lucky we are to have supportive spouses. I am retiring this week and look forward to some easier days. Wishing less itching for you!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
jpequeno

Post by jpequeno »

Thanks, Janet. Hope your retirement is stress free and pain free.

Judy
Tried:
Accupuncture - no relief
RF Ablation - no relief
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Thanks Judy!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Judy I have found that epsom salts in very warm water are amazing at relieving infections. Actually a pediatrician told me about them and I've seen them work wonders. So maybe you want to try doing alternating hot and cold sitz baths with epsom salts in the hot baths. You can see a description of it here. http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =25&t=5267 These are very soothing and the epsom salts might draw out the infection. You would need to do it at least 4 times a day.

Obviously the drugs you are using aren't helping. So maybe it's time to try something else. I think I already mentioned this but I'll mention it again. I found capsaicin (soothenol) to be one of the few things that helped me sleep when the itching was really bad. It burns at first but I preferred that to the itching. After a few minutes it calms down and then you can sleep. You can dilute it if you want.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”