This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
Mystic Blue

Post by Mystic Blue »

Last edited by Mystic Blue on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violet M

Re: pudendal nerve entrapment/pudendal neuralgia.

Post by Violet M »

You can go to this link to see the difference between pudendal neuralgia and pudendal nerve entrapment.
http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/8#2

I would add to that explanation, that pudendal neuralgia can be caused by a nerve entrapment, but there are other causes of pudendal neuralgia other than nerve entrapment. For instance lyme disease or multiple sclerosis can cause pudendal neuralgia. Sometimes pelvic floor muscles can be tight and contracted impinging on the nerve causing symptoms of pudendal neuralgia.

There may be physical therapists in Iowa who treat pudendal neuralgia who we don't know about. You might want to call Stephanie Prendergast who is on the list of California PT's at this link: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/63#CA to find out if she knows of any PT's in Iowa who have taken her course who she could recommend.

MRN's may or may not give valuable information on whether you have a nerve entrapment. Basically it's an MRI with software that enhances the nerves but it's not 100% accurate for whether there is nerve entrapment.

If you go to Texas they are experienced at treating people with pudendal neuralgia but keep in mind Dr. Ansell is a surgeon and will be thinking of this from a surgeon's point of view. Typically when you go to Texas you will receive a pudendal nerve block for diagnostic purposes. Some people get long term relief from nerve blocks but on the forum we rarely hear of that happening. I would be surprised if there aren't any physicians in Iowa who know how to give a good pudendal nerve block for diagnostic purposes. You might want to check with the University of Iowa radiology department to find out if any of their physicians perform pudendal nerve blocks. http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/dept_prim ... =Radiology Or if you live near a large hospital you could check with their radiology department.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going to Texas but I am brainstorming other possible options if you cannot afford the trip. But definitely check with your insurance company about appealing this if you cannot find anyone in state to treat you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Re: pudendal nerve entrapment/pudendal neuralgia.

Post by Violet M »

I just read your post in another thread and see that your doctors are recommending resection of 6 nerves and that you have already tried nerve blocks, so disregard some of what I said in that last post. What are you hoping to achieve by seeing Dr. Ansell? Are you wanting a second opinion about surgery? I think it would be a good idea to get a second opinion before having major nerve surgery.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”