Breast cancer hormones

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
bongosis

Breast cancer hormones

Post by bongosis »

Hello,

I am posting this on behalf of my mum who suffered for years with pudendal nerve neuralgia. The symptoms eased when she got put on HRT for her menopause however, she recently got diagnosed with breast cancer and has started hormone treatment for the next 5-8 years and because this treatment supresses oestrogen (as I understand it , the hormone that is causing her cancer to grow) her pudendal nerve neuralgia has come back with a vengeance. She is in agony and does not know what to do. Her doctor said she must just put up with the pain because she needs these hormones to stop the cancer from coming back.
Anyone go through anything similar or know of a possible treatment to ease her pain. She is considering taking her chances at having cancer again rather than living in this pain. I should probably also mention, we live in Switzerland and I don't think they know as much about PN as they do in the UK or the US.

Thanks for your help.
Violet M

Re: Breast cancer hormones

Post by Violet M »

That is a really difficult position to be in. There are other options your mom could try -- like neurostimulation or an intrathecal pain pump if she doesn't want to take oral opioids. I don't think she should have to put up with the pain. Has your mom seen any of the Swiss doctors listed at the following link? http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/57#SW

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Amy01

Post by Amy01 »

Hi bongosis, welcome to the forum. Really sorry to hear of your mom, i am not an expert on this subject but hope you get some good advice from other group members. Surely UK has convenient and better options for PN.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Very touching story
anupriya

Post by anupriya »

bongosis wrote:Hello,

I am posting this on behalf of my mum who suffered for years with pudendal nerve neuralgia. The symptoms eased when she got put on HRT for her menopause however, she recently got diagnosed with breast cancer and has startedhormone treatment for the next 5-8 years and because this treatment supresses oestrogen (as I understand it , the hormone that is causing her cancer to grow) her pudendal nerve neuralgia has come back with a vengeance. She is in agony and does not know what to do. Her doctor said she must just put up with the pain because she needs these hormones to stop the cancer from coming back.
Anyone go through anything similar or know of a possible treatment to ease her pain. She is considering taking her chances at having cancer again rather than living in this pain. I should probably also mention, we live in Switzerland and I don't think they know as much about PN as they do in the UK or the US.

Thanks for your help.
Hope your mom will get well soon

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”