Is it normal to feel worse in the weeks following surgery

Dr Thierry Vancaillie
ElizaM

Is it normal to feel worse in the weeks following surgery

Post by ElizaM »

I'm a week out from pudendal nerve decompression surgery with Prof Theiry Vancaille and Dr Loefler. My nerve pain feels so much worse. Do you usually feel worse for a while?
PN Left sided started April 2013 after TVT sling surgery for stress incontinence. Nov 2013 surgery reviewed by another surgeon and sling removed as found to be incorrectly inserted on left side. Pain gradually increased. 2014 Prof Vancaille diagnosed PN. PT, nerve blocks, botox, pulsed radio frequency tried with no success. PNE diagnosed by MRI result. July 2015 Pudendal nerve release surgery with Prof Theiry Vancaille and Dr Loefler.
janetm2

Re: Is it normal to feel worse in the weeks following surger

Post by janetm2 »

Hello Elizam,
I was definitely worse especially the first few weeks. I remember I could still sit some and was working before surgery at least a few partial days a week and then it 3 months before even considering working again and 6 months before I could do 5-6 hour days. I also have bunion and arthritis in my big toes so I cannot do much alternating sitting and standing so that impacts how long I could work. Take it slow and if you start to hurt do not continue the activity. It make take longer than you realize but eventually healing can occur. Driving still seems to be the haredst sitting activity for me and as we say everyone is different so your road will most likely vary but don't get discouraged right away.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
ElizaM

Post by ElizaM »

Thanks so much Janet for your response. Sorry to hear about your feet. :(
PN Left sided started April 2013 after TVT sling surgery for stress incontinence. Nov 2013 surgery reviewed by another surgeon and sling removed as found to be incorrectly inserted on left side. Pain gradually increased. 2014 Prof Vancaille diagnosed PN. PT, nerve blocks, botox, pulsed radio frequency tried with no success. PNE diagnosed by MRI result. July 2015 Pudendal nerve release surgery with Prof Theiry Vancaille and Dr Loefler.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

You are welcome and thanks for the foot sympathy. I figure I am lucky I can still walk and just need to balance everything.
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Eliza, I was initially worse after surgery too. I think it's impossible not to have some trauma to the nerve during surgery. I used extra pain killers and a lot of ice during the early days after surgery.

Hope you will be feeling better soon.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND”