post op physio

List of Physiotherapists Worldwide; Techniques & Education to educate Physio's who are not PN aware, etc
molly

post op physio

Post by molly »

I am now five months post op after decompression surgery with Dr Tibet.

In the last couple of weeks I have started to feel a slight improvement, fingers crossed that it lasts.

I am going to have a few physio sessions wit a good pn aware physio, and Iwas wondering if anybody who has been down this route, could tell me what they found helpful or unhelpful.

Having made a small amount of improvement I am very wary of not going backwards.

Thanks for any help.

Molly
janetm2

Re: post op physio

Post by janetm2 »

Hi Molly,
Since my main pain started rectally the rectal treatments help the most. They did start nerve glides about 4-6 weeks post op to prevent scar tissue but not sure how I would notice that impact. Hope you continue to have improvement.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
molly

Post by molly »

Thank you Janet for your reply,

Did the rectal treatment consist of massage, sorry to be so blunt.

And could you tell me what the glides consisted of.?

Regards Molly
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Molly,
The rectal is massage within and for me mostly just on the inside edge. One of my PTs had to figurehow to help me without flaring which was truly awful last halloween. Turns out the key was to not go deep and just put the tip of the finger to the first knuckle. This was good to know when another PT came to start working on me and I told her. They do actually talk to each other but my first day with Holly was to be a day to work on my feet but I was in so much rectal stress she had to switch over and treat it. The glides are when they glide their finger over and along the nerve vaginally/ inner thigh like area with your knees up. There are descriptions on here somewhere about how to do them on yourself probably not for you yet but just so you understood. I never got the hang of it and left them to the pros.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks again Janet,

I,m seeing my physio tomorrow, so I,ll let you know how Iget on.

Regards Molly
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck with the physio Molly. Very glad to hear that you are experiencing some improvements at last.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks guys for your input,

Having had physio todat I,m not sure that it is going to benefit me. Whilst my physio is very good and pn aware I don,t think its rehabilititive as it seems to be in America. I,m going to have a think befor deciding on any more. Just pleased at the moment that I,ve made a little bit offorward progress.

Love Molly
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Molly, You may need to give it a few sessions, I do not temember but I do not think rehab kicked in right away and I think it was pretty painful for the initial nerre glides. Hang in there and any forward motion is good. Thanks for letting us know how it went.
Janet
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I wasn't able to tolerate PT until about a year after surgery but I think most PNE docs would advise having it sooner than that. I found it somewhat helpful -- especially in relieving the piriformis pain that had developed as a result of PNE. They showed me how to use a TENS unit for piriformis pain and obturator internus pain and if was very effective.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
molly

Post by molly »

Hi Guys,

Thank you both foryour input. One of the many problems Ihave as do many pn patients is that there is no physio availble on the nhs. This means not only do Ihave to travelmost of the day for a one hour appointment, but it is very costly. I have already spent thousands on trying to get relief from this condition, as I,m sure again many people have. As I am probably about to loose my job money is an issue.

Picking up onyour point Violet about pain in the obdurator muscle this was certainly a definate feature on thursday when Iwent to my physio. I do have a small tens unit , is this what you have been taught to use?

I would like to be able to do as much home trearment as possible for obvious reasons, so any help is feally appreciated.

Kind regards,

Molly

Return to “PHYSIOTHERAPY”