TENS for piriformis and oburator internus

List of Physiotherapists Worldwide; Techniques & Education to educate Physio's who are not PN aware, etc
Violet M

TENS for piriformis and oburator internus

Post by Violet M »

Here is a description of where my physical therapist told me to place electrodes to calm down the obturator internus and the piriformis.

Obturator internus:

Place one electrode on the inner thigh near the crease between the thigh and perineum, place the other electrode on the abdomen just inside the pelvic bone. If you have a 4 channel TENS unit you can do this on both sides.

Piriformis:

Place one electrode on the side of the hip at the widest point of the hips. Place the other electrode on the lower back just to the side of the top of the sacrum.

I was told you should run the TENS unit for at least 2 hours a day to get the most benefit.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
molly

Re: TENS for piriformis and oburator internus

Post by molly »

Thank you for that Violet, I shall start today.

Regards Molly
Roger

Post by Roger »

Do you know what settings were used please?
river133

Post by river133 »

I have been using a tens unit for several years. My sciatic , pudendal
,pain never leave, from the time I get up in the am until the time I go to bed at night. Would you have any idea where I should be using the 4 electrodes. I just put them on my behind where sciatic pain is.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Roger, I don't remember for sure what settings I used. On my TENS I think I set it anywhere from 14-20 but other makes and models of TENS units may be different. What worked best is to get it up to where you feel a tingling feeling that's sort of in the background -- not overwhelming.

Ellie, I can't say for sure where to put the electrodes for your type of sciatic pain. If it's due to the piriformis muscle pressing on the nerve then put them where I described above for the piriformis.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
onmynerves

Post by onmynerves »

Hi Violet,

This may seem like an odd question to ask, but I'm hoping you may be able to help. I have a standard TPN 200 TENS machine (https://www.procterhealthcare.co.uk/tpn ... ns-machine), what's become evident to me is that even if I have it cranked all the way up I don't feel very much going on, if anything at all. Sometimes I can feel the tingling, but eventually I can't any longer. Other times I have no sensation at all from the beginning.

I've been through everything systematically, skin prep, pads, cords, battery. I've had a friend test the unit on themselves and they can feel it.

Are you familiar with this, have you experienced this? Is this something that's unique to pudendal issues?

Thanks for reading.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please feel free.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

No, I haven't heard of this. Maybe you can check with a PT for advice or check with the company who makes the unit and see if they have heard of this problem. Some pudendal patients have loss of sensation, especially in the genital area but it seems like that would be slightly different than inability to feel the stimulation from a TENS unit.

Violet

Return to “PHYSIOTHERAPY”