Best/Most Experienced Physiotherapist in North America

List of Physiotherapists Worldwide; Techniques & Education to educate Physio's who are not PN aware, etc
PaulSa

Best/Most Experienced Physiotherapist in North America

Post by PaulSa »

Who is the best of the best when it comes to physiotherapists who are extremely knowledgeable with the pelvic and other regions? Looking for someone who looks at the big picture and can come up with a diagnoses and a treatment plan?
Karyn

Re: Best/Most Experienced Physiotherapist in North America

Post by Karyn »

Hi Paulsa,
The List of PT's we have published on our home page provide contact information for Physio's who are experienced with the pelvis and other regions. It's possible you'll get several responses from other community members explaining their experiences. In my humble opinion, most PT's are excellent diagnosticians, far exceeding physiatrists.
They actually work hands-on with your body, instead of sitting in the comfort of their chairs, listening to your symptoms. The ones I've had experience with keep meticulous records of any abnormalities or dysfunction found, treatments they've tried and the results of those treatments. Many here have been significantly helped by PT and just as many have not. It depends on what your issues are.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Scrolling through the PT list, these are the "Big Names" in the field that jump out at me:

- The Prendergast - Rumner - McBride Team in San Francisco

- Rhonda Kotarinos in Chicago

- Any Stein in New York

Those are the ones I know from reputation / name recognition as published, conference speakers, etc.

From personal experience my pelvic floor PT was Tina Baum in Las Vegas and I found her to be fabulous.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Paulsa,

My sports/rehab physio at Eglinton Ave. and Avenue Road is excellent, Greg Lehmann at the Urban Athlete. He's a runner, has a masters degree in physiotherapy, and has a few publications. He is also a chiropractor and acupuncturist. And of course now he knows all about pelvic pain and the pelvic floor since he has been helping me through my bilateral hip surgeries for the past eight months.

And you have seen pelvic PT Nelly Faghani in Vaughan? I think she's probably one of the best pelvic physios in Canada. Her brother, a sports/rehab PT, practices with her. I've never met him though.

Have you seen Dr. Andrew yet in Cornwall, Ontario? He has a general chiro/physio practice and certainly knows all about the pelvis/whole body connection. Most of his patients do not opt for ESWT and he wouldn't make you do it either if you didn't want to. I remain thoroughly impressed with his knowledge of the pelvis and how other body parts play into pelvic pain. He could certainly help you devise a rehab plan, even if you can't see him every day!

Please PM me if you want more information.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com

Return to “PHYSIOTHERAPY”