Theory about Obturator PT causing PNE

List of Physiotherapists Worldwide; Techniques & Education to educate Physio's who are not PN aware, etc
rainbowbutterfly

Theory about Obturator PT causing PNE

Post by rainbowbutterfly »

I have issues with both my right and left pudendal nerve. Often the pain is all on one side and not the other. This can switch many times a day. I have lots of ups and downs.

A week ago, I was doing (relatively) well with my symptoms. Then I had PT. It was with a "sub" - as my normal PT is out of town. She did some aggressive stretching ("releasing") of my left obturator. It "hurt so good" but in the following days the muscle began to feel very cold and heavy and by the 2nd and 3rd days my left nerve BLEW UP. I keep picturing the Hindenburg. Odd because my right side is usually worse.

My whole left side feels inflamed, including my lips and toes. I may be piecing together an idea. I left my previous PT because I believe she GAVE me Pudendal Neuralgia by her overly aggressive stretching of the obturator and levator. My original issue was IC and barbaric instillations. (I stopped seeing my first PT for a few months, during which my pelvic floor normalized to a great extent, and I only went back because I had a cystoscopy/biopsy which wrecked my pelvic floor again). Last summer, I had no sitting issues. I developed them after I went back to this PT.

So TLDR version - I believe that overly aggressive obturator stretching CAUSES pudendal neuralgia. I don't know of many people who have had nearly 2 years of weekly pelvic floor PT, if for no other reason than insurance always cops out. My grandma is paying for my PT when insurance doesn't pay. Maybe the treatment is making me worse.

My face is on fire. :oops:

What do you guys think?
Rosemary

Re: Theory about Obturator PT causing PNE

Post by Rosemary »

I am having PT on this muscle - both sides are worked on not just one side - even though one side is the worst side.

This is just trigger point release though - is that different to the stretching ?

I too will be interested in any replies you have here - at the moment i am trying to decide if more pain is gain.

rosemary X
Violet M

Re: Theory about Obturator PT causing PNE

Post by Violet M »

Aggressive pelvic floor myofascial release (including the obturator internus) caused a major flare-up for me before I had pudendal nerve decompression surgery. The pudendal nerve runs right alongside the obturator internus muscle so if the nerve is entrapped or encased in obturator internus fascia, stretching that muscle could definitely irritate the nerve.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PHYSIOTHERAPY”