Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 3/6/15

Read about the latest Technology, which Doctors are performing this technique and the advantages and disadvantages of this cutting edge pain management therapy.
river133

Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 3/6/15

Post by river133 »

Thanks for the prayers,so very kind of you. Do you have the control ,where you put one on top of the other to change the usage? I can make it increase or decrease. The pn is really irritated right now. Does this thing get better? I am so hoping this will work. I have the #2turned down to 140 which is the setting for the pudendal. I really do have some leg,back issues. Not sure if is the back or piriformus. Emg says it is not sciatic. Wish I had some norco, diazapam . I don't want to be strong or brave right now. I am thinking right now to do the pain pump. I have until this Thurs.to make my mind up.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
river133

Post by river133 »

I called the medtronic rep.this afternoon. He told me to turn off the pudendal setting. My pudendal was flaring. Makes me feel sad that this is happening. Maybe it will settle down over night. :(
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I will PM you some info..
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
quilter

Post by quilter »

I agree with blightcp; call the rep immediately if a setting starts causing discomfort that was not present during the programming with the rep. Even on a weekend, leave a voice mail; my rep usually called me back before Monday. I always felt a little like Frankenstein's monster during programming sessions. The rep controlled what my body would feel, but they always started at very low pulse/amplitude and I quickly told them what & where I couldn't tolerate stim. Don't let the rep leave until you've worked through everything. I took a small journal to each session and kept notes about what setting affected which area, In between programming appointments I kept notes about what worked, what didn't, at what rates, etc. So we knew what to tweak the next time. Also, in my case progrmming sessions (lasted an hour or longer) and could flare me up for a day or two - often they need to briefly set something higher than the levels it will be used at so they can establish parameters.

It's a process that's always evolving as the leads settle into place and your nerves adjust. Hang in there!
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Ok, I am literally in the office of Dr Ross and they are trying to set up a pain pump trial for TOMORROW. I have insurance issues they are trying to manage, but if everything works out I will be in the trial tomorrow!

My wife and I are scrambling to get the details worked out, but we almost have that figured out. Lets just pray it all falls into place.

Carl
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
river133

Post by river133 »

I went to the pain clinic today. The medronic rep. tried to find the best stimulation for the pudendal nerve. It wasn't to be. She told me I was not a candidate for the stimulator. They called Dr.Schultz and he told them to remove my leads. They were in S1 and L1. They began to give me information about the pain pump. Of course we have to wait for insurance to be approved again. It will probably be a month or more before I have an appointment for the trial. Then insurance approval one more time. It may be June before the implant. The nurse told me being that I am not on opiods I would not need a large amount to give me relief. 50% relief is what she said to expect.. sighhhhhh,I hope so! :)
river133

Post by river133 »

THIS IS AWSOME FOR YOU. HOW IS IT THAT YOU CAN HAVE THIS SO SOON? How long after the trial for the final? Well you can keep me posted with your progress . It takes two weeks for my insurances approval. Did you know this was going to happen?
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

No, I only knew we were going to discuss the next step most likely being this option.

It was timing, Dr. Ross had an opining in the surgical suite.

My insurance is up next month and we are trying to get as much done as possible under private insurance.
river133

Post by river133 »

Please keep in touch. I can not wait to hear about this . When you feel up to it. Prayers coming your way Carl.!
:D
quilter

Post by quilter »

Dear blightcp,

Sorry the stim didn't work for you, but glad they're not implanting something that won't be useful. My pain anethesiologist told me 2? Years ago that Medicare (and therefore all insurance) had just passed a rule that a patient could only have 1 SCS implant covered during their lifetime. Meaning that even if an unrelated condition occurs that ultimately needs a SCS, no insurance contribution and cash only. I'd have to dig out my EOBs, but I think that well over $200,000 was billed for mine in 2011.
Glad the pump trial can be done soon and hope it works great for you. Sending my prayers and best wishes!
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.

Return to “NEUROSTIMULATION”