Saving your ligaments during operation

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
helen1000

Saving your ligaments during operation

Post by helen1000 »

Hello,

I have a question and may be somebody can help me. I just visited Dr Conway and he mentioned that he severs SSL and saves STL ligament. I know that Dr Hibler, and Dr Antolack do the same.
I am just curious may be with laprascopic operation like Dr Chambi, for example, you can have both ligaments saved?

I was told by Dr Conway and by Karyn that SS is small and unimportant. But I am so afraid of loosing even SS. I am afraid that my pelvis will be even more unstable.

Thanks for any information

Helen
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
helenlegs 11

Re: Saving your ligaments during operation

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Dr Dellon has a lot to say about this in his Chapter 12 with his explanation why cutting the ligament isn't an issue. However, logic (to me, anyway) says that people with lax or unstable sacroiliac ligaments may question this.
Sorry that I don't have a more constructive answer to your question. It is a toughy.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Helen,

I had a very unstable pelvis before surgery. I had the SS (not the ST) ligament cut and in 8 years I haven't noticed any worsening of the instability.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

Thank you all for answers. I am trying now to 'stick' my SIJ on my left with PT. But even my PT is saying that I may still need operation because entrapment may stay. So I am trying to know as much as I can by the time when operation is needed.

Helen
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

I certainly have no proof but my SS was cut and after surgery I have had SIJD/pelvic instability. I am working with PT some chiropracter and acupuncture to try and stick it back. I also wear an SI belt for twisting things like driving and cooking. Good luck and hope yours does nor get worse.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

helen1000 wrote: So I am trying to know as much as I can by the time when operation is needed.

Helen
That is all you can do Helen, good for you. It can all become quite confusing at times tho' can't it! :?
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

Hello janetm2,

Can you tell me who did your operation? And how pelvis instability is changing your life? Do you have pain? Inability to sit? Other nerves entrapped?

I have instability already even before operation. And right now I am using SI belt. I have a lot of restrictions to 'stick' joint back. But my SIJ problem is far less debilitating than pudendal nerve and PFC nerve. So I would have current level of instability for ability to sit anytime.

Helen
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Helen,
Dr Marvel did TG left surgery tbecause the SS and ST ligaments eere so tight and squashing the pudendal nerve. The pelvic instability causes pain in my back as it pulls on muscles and also pulls some on the nerve. I still have some pain and sitting is still affected but overall less than pre- surgery. I am able to sit up to an hour but it still is better if I get up for breaks at 30 or 45 minutes. I am able to work the less the better so I am doing 6 or 7 hour days with usually a 4 hour or so on Thusdays. As far as I know there are no ther entrapped nerves and I think I just need more recovery time and then I hope to be able to lift over 5 pounds without pain. Grocery shopping is problematic if I go without my hubby but I just have to break it all into small bags. Also lifting heavier pans in the kitchen or large pot filled and of course turning with something heavy. These are not the end of the world but annoying as they do not appear that it should be difficult. I certainly was not a weighifter but we are not talking heavy stuff. Also of course bending stretching combined with lifting. Or bending and staying bent. This stuff did in my hai coloring combined with not being able to lie in the hair washing chair so I am trying to deal with the grey again not the end of the world but having the dark hair just made me not feel so old. Very small issue given that I can do things without too much pain and am not relegated to bed or sofa. I am getting better over time ever so slowly. My family that I see infrequently noticed a difference between August and December. I can take care of myself for the most part but cannot do cleaning and would not be able to handle the house on.my own of course some of this was just given my foot pain before I got PNE but that really sealed the deal.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

As you say Janet, nothing is the end of the world, especially individually and I know you are someone who WILL cope. But it is enough to make anyone fed up to the back teeth sometimes isn't it!!
I don't mind separate small bag packing, I don't even mind the grey. I cut my hair myself now (and do it well even if I do say so) but I think we ALL deserve things that can help make us feel better, feel like us again. There are so many fantastic hair colours now I'm tempted. . . pink :) or a deep burgundy ?? Maybe I am actually trying to reinvent myself. . . . . NO, too scared ! :lol:
Helen
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

No reinventing necessary, Helen. You're fabulous, just the way you are! :D
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “SURGERY”