Weight bearing exercises after surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Barb

Weight bearing exercises after surgery

Post by Barb »

Hello everyone.

I have a post-op question for anyone that can help. I am 6 months from TG surgery, and doing reasonably well. I still have some flares and the tightness of my muscles and my ischial tuberosity pain is still making sitting uncomfortable. However, I got some news today that has really made everything even more difficult.

I had a bone density test and the numbers were REALLY bad! I am a slim person, fair skin and blue eyes, which makes you more at risk for osteoporosis. The doctor is putting me on medication. I have to be religious about taking my calcium, but how can i do weight bearing exercises.....especially now? I feel like I fix one problem, only to have another one that complicates everything :(

Are there exercises that anyone can suggest or should I just wait until about a year after surgery to even think about core strengthening or weight bearing?

Thanks for your help.
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
Karyn

Re: Weight bearing exercises after surgery

Post by Karyn »

Hi Barb,
I sympathize with you for having another medical condition to contend with.
Barb wrote:The doctor is putting me on medication. I have to be religious about taking my calcium, but how can i do weight bearing exercises.....especially now? I feel like I fix one problem, only to have another one that complicates everything
Is the doc who put you on medication aware of your current situation? Did he/she suggest that you do weight bearing exercises, now?

Clearly, this isn't a viable option for you at this point in time. While this news is certainly concerning, your first priority should be focusing on recovering, so that it may be possible for you to incorporate some type of weight bearing exercises some time in the future.

Please take things one step at a time, so as to not over burden yourself. What med were you prescribed?

Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Karyn,
Yes, the doctor does know of my surgery. He put me on fosamax and gave me recommendations of how to minimize my risks going forward. He is aware that I can not do weight bearing at this time. I told my physical therapist today and she recommended walking until I can work up to at least 45 minutes a day. I walked on a tread mill for 15 minutes and I am feeling some pain in my sacrum tonight. I have some inflammation on the left PSIS and sacrum which is the opposite side from my surgery. This condition and all the things that go along with it are so maddening. :(

I think I am struggling with too much movement in the SI joint on my left side which is so crazy because it was the right side before my surgery, but that side looks great now......no inflammation.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear about your additional diagnosis. I am slim with fair skin and green eyes and developed osteoporosis during the worst of PNE so I can sympathize with you.

Since fosamax is not a long-term solution, my physician has put me on a bio-identical hormone cream that contains several hormones that help prevent further loss of bone mass. I can't tell you the exact formula as I am traveling right now but if you are interested I will try to get it for you. If you have breast cancer in your family this may not be an ideal solution for you but if that's not a concern you may want to consider this option.

I walk 2-3 miles several days a week but I can't use the treadmill because it causes PN and SI joint flareups due to ligament/pelvic instability. Someone I know who is an ortho surgeon recommended doing light upper body weights or even carrying a small amount of weight when walking and taking plenty of vitamin D. I can do light upper body weightlifting and it doesn't seem to bother the PN but definitely helps give you that "fit" look. :lol: I can also do ab work and parts of "The Firm" exercise program without affecting the PN. Whatever you do, start out slowly and see how it affects you.

Good luck -- and if you learn any other tips that work for you let me know. It helps to share ideas.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Violet,
It seems a lot of our conditions are similar. Thanks for your reply. I knew I couldn't take fosamax long term and I was really excited about the cream you talked about until you got to the point about breast cancer risks. I had early stage breast cancer in 2001. I was diagnosed on Sept. 11, 2001. It was a surreal day. My husband and I were in the doctor's office at 9:00 am and saw the events happening on the office TV. I had a lumpectomy and radiation and have been cancer free since.

It might be worth a try to see if my doctor thinks it is a possibility.

It is strange, but I have the same reaction to walking. It seems walking outside doesn't bother my SI Joint, but walking on a treadmill does. Thanks goodness it is getting warmer now and I can walk outside. I wear my SI belt. I also have smaller weights to do upper body work, but wondered when I could start that. I am also taking calcium with vitamin D.

On another subject, have you ever heard of Lion's Mane mushrooms and their help with nerve regeneration? I was reading about them and wondered if it came in supplement form and if it helped. I read about them in a health magazine. I think it was an article by Dr. Weil .

I will definitely share any info I have. Thanks for your help.

Take care,
Barb
bma

Post by bma »

The surgery usually generates a large amount of scar tissue in the buttocks, internal obturator, fascias and neurapraxia (neural lesion) Particularment .... I think it's bad science believes that "success rates are 60%". After reading and talking to dozens of patients, I concluded that it is pure leafleting of doctors who want to earn $ 50,000 in one procedure. I dont believe in statistics published here. But I think that a small contingent of people get much better, especially those who have trapped nerve in SS and ST ligaments. I hope you get well, actually. Everybody is different.
- Blocking done by Dr. Luciano Braun, Brazil
- bLock in piriformis - no response
- Physiotherapy, good response, 50%
- Therapy with low lidocaine infusion, good response .30%
- Surgery? Perhaps. But I'm incredulous.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hello bma,

I see that you have no signature, so it is hard to tell your motivation. Have you had surgery? I am also confused as to why you chose this thread to convey your message.

Most of us on the surgery forum have had surgery, and are recovering, so to talk about the amount of scar tissue and the success rate of the surgery is really unnecessary. It was difficult enough to make the decision to have surgery, but when you get to the point that life is not worth living than it becomes an easier decision.

I had surgery almost 7 months ago and my nerve pain has drastically reduced. Am I pain free....no, but life is worth living now and I know it will get even better.

As far as the cost, my surgery was a fraction of the cost your quoted, and there are a lot of doctors out there who genuinely want to help.

I hope this will show the opinion of someone on the other side of surgery.

Thanks
Barb

Violet.....I hope you read my last post before this one.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

So sorry about the breast cancer, Barb. Glad you caught it early but with that history I'm not sure the cream would be a good idea.....maybe something you could discuss with your doctor. Sometimes, it's a matter of trading one risk for another, eh? Just like with PNE surgery....it's a matter of deciding whether you want to live with the pain indefinitely after you've tried a bunch of conservative therapies or try surgery to at least give your chance at getting your life back. I will never regret taking that risk because it's given me back a decent life. I knew there were risks going in but having no quality of life I was willing to take that risk.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
bma

Post by bma »

I talked to many patients who have had surgery and ended in a pain pump drugs. I did not sign my post. But I saw that only 50% of patients improve in another forum. Generally the impression we have is that whoever improves think everyone has that chance. But I have not seen quality studies on neurology (pudendal nerve is, like other nerves, formed by C fibers, Delta and motor). I am a scientist and few studies are good, Dr. R. Roberts says cure more than 65% of patients with blocks. I do not believe in this (its propaganda). Yes, some people are better. But I dont believe in "cure" for 85% with surgery. Its not science for me. We dont play the bad cases in bellow of carpet.

I had block
medication
Physiotherapy and am improving.
- Blocking done by Dr. Luciano Braun, Brazil
- bLock in piriformis - no response
- Physiotherapy, good response, 50%
- Therapy with low lidocaine infusion, good response .30%
- Surgery? Perhaps. But I'm incredulous.
erikesimmons

Post by erikesimmons »

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your topic with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

Return to “SURGERY”