What to expect after surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
lomlom

What to expect after surgery

Post by lomlom »

I'm having surgery with Dr. Castellanos on the 20th, and although I have a handout about what to expect, I'd like to hear from people who have gone through it. What were your experiences after surgery?
24yo f history chronic migraines & IBS
6/15 Pain sudden while driving like kidney stone sharp stabbing
9/15 PN diag frm Dr Castellanos after CT scan IUD out cysto urinalysis etc
10/15 cant work First PNB 8 hours numb
11/15 p. RFA pain worse
3/16 Botox inj Pain 6/10 only nerve pain now PT weekly
4/16 nerve worse PNB @ clitoral & perineal 12h relief ->PNB @ clitoral numb 24h
Cant sit can walk to bathroom w/ great pain bedridden
5/16 ganglia impar block no help
Next is PNE surgery
jaxi123

Re: What to expect after surgery

Post by jaxi123 »

You will experience every up and down ther is . It is a roller coaster for sure
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

It looks like today was your surgery day. I hope everything went well for you.

I agree with Jaxi. It is going to be a bit of a roller coaster for a few months. You may need to have some extra pain medication on hand. Also have some gel ice packs ready to use. The incision area may be sore or even get infected post-operatively so be prepared not to sit for awhile post-op. My pain was worse initially after surgery but eventually it calmed down and then very slowly faded away over many months. You may have a flare-up around the 3rd or 4th months as the nerve wakes up.

I think it's really important to take it easy and not try to do too much in the early months after surgery so the nerve can heal. Once the initial pain flare-up settles down and the incision is healed you might want to try some pelvic floor physical therapy to help any muscles that are in spasm to calm down. No kegals, but myofascial release might be helpful.

Feel free to ask any questions throughout the healing process.

All the best on your recovery,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
RJR

Post by RJR »

lomlom,
Agree with Violet on all points. Dr. C. assisted Dr. Hibner for my surgery in 2010 - I find him very competent and kind. Because my R nerve was severely trapped by the STL I immediately had relief from the deep internal burning. I stayed in PHX for 3 weeks to aid in healing and post care follow-up, if it were needed.
Wishing you long lasting improvements,
Bob
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
jaxi123

Post by jaxi123 »

I had 2 failed surgeries
Nerve wrap was of no value
Be cautious of surgery. It causes more problems.

Return to “SURGERY”