Dr. De Bisschop/Transperineal Approach

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
chenonceau

Re: Dr. De Bisschop/Transperineal Approach

Post by chenonceau »

@Violet : from what i have seen on the french forum and in DeBisschop's waiting room, I'd say that most of his patients are "old" women (let's say 50+). Thus I cannot imagine this kind of population posting on an english speaking forum (You have some truly surprizing messages on the french board explaining private messages... :shock: )

@Jason32 : As much I do not agree with his numbers, I doubt he has the capacity to do that. It's France, there is a blatant lack of money, and I cannot imagine who would fund such a study. You know in France a GP is not charging 150$ for a consult. I was living in the USA when my pain came back (Chicago), saw several doctors there with my "awesome BlueCrossBullShit plan", when I came back here I was laughing when people presented me bills.
Testicular pain started Jan '15 - off by may '15
Back Pain + Pain when seating Jan '16
Loss of sensation when urinating Mar '16
Urinary Retention Aug '16
Diagnosed PNE Sept'16 - 2 Nerve blocks Nov '16
Diagnosed Myofascial Syndrome March '17
Self-cathing since summer '17
Bilateral Decompression Surgery (Dr. De B., France) September '18
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

It's not only about percentages.... There is an interesting issue: He say "Cutting ligament is for nothing : There is never conflict with ligament"... Isn't it in contradiction with literature? :?
2004 Urethral burnings, chronic prostatitis diagnosis, unuseful drugs. Lately added chronic pelvic contracture.
2011 Pudendal Neuralgia diagnosis, nerve blocks and oral drugs.
2013 Two neuromodulation surgeries.
2016 Possover negate Pudendal Neuralgia (no pain elicited on rectal exploration), says problem is more central but MRI- neurography show nothing.
2017 De Bisshop found Oedema/hyperpressure and neurological abnormal response on intrapiriform area, most on sx.
Failed injection blocks.
winged_cent

Post by winged_cent »

I don't fully trust Dr. de Bisschop's answers to my questions and I certainly don't trust his statistics. It is difficult even to get a straight answer about how severe and how long the post-operative restrictions are. His answers have ranged from being careful for two years to avoiding carrying heavy objects for one month.

On the French forum, there is a guy who had surgery with him a month ago named POLISERE - he is someone who had surgery before and is a re-op. It's kind of hard to figure out how he's doing because he mostly makes jokes and talks about how great some rehab center near Aubagne is :) But he doesn't seem to be doing too badly in terms of post-operative symptoms.

I am still on the fence in regards to this surgery. On the one hand, I have no real confidence in its success. On the other hand, it does seem relatively non-invasive, and it does not cut any ligament or other structure really, and it's a small incision. If the French forum is not full of people who have been magically cured by de Bisschop, I have also seen no sign of people saying they have been harmed by him. If there is even a 15% or 20% chance of improving the symptoms I would do it -- as long as the chances of making them worse are close to 0%, and I could be working within 1 month and more or less back to my normal state of activity about 2 to 3 months afterwards. It is my uncertainty about the post-operative period and the lack of good information that gives me pause.

I have to decide somewhat soon because there is a "window of opportunity" between two jobs that I have in August, and if I don't do it now I will likely have to wait several years.
chenonceau

Post by chenonceau »

winged_cent wrote:I don't fully trust Dr. de Bisschop's answers to my questions and I certainly don't trust his statistics.
Nobody is :)
winged_cent wrote:On the French forum, there is a guy who had surgery with him a month ago named POLISERE - he is someone who had surgery before and is a re-op. It's kind of hard to figure out how he's doing because he mostly makes jokes and talks about how great some rehab center near Aubagne is :) But he doesn't seem to be doing too badly in terms of post-operative symptoms.
I think it's too early to be trusted, but there's a second person that has been operated in March too...
winged_cent

Post by winged_cent »

Luckily for us, there actually seems to be a "wave" of patients on the French forum for are getting surgery with Dr. de Bisschop right now, including several on the same day. One of them was able to post on the evening of his morning operation, which suggests that it isn't too terrible. I do wish that their descriptions were a little bit more specific than "everything's going pretty well".

I must admit, I would feel more comfortable if I were getting statistics that were like "30% improved, 60% not really, 5% feel worse" than the "Potemkin village" statistics of 90%+ improvements. If the doctor is giving out false information, it really does reduce my excitement to let myself get cut open by him. But I hope that in the next couple months we can get good real information about the course of the post-operative recovery from at least some of the new French patients.
chenonceau

Post by chenonceau »

winged_cent wrote:Luckily for us, there actually seems to be a "wave" of patients on the French forum for are getting surgery with Dr. de Bisschop right now, including several on the same day. One of them was able to post on the evening of his morning operation, which suggests that it isn't too terrible. I do wish that their descriptions were a little bit more specific than "everything's going pretty well".

I must admit, I would feel more comfortable if I were getting statistics that were like "30% improved, 60% not really, 5% feel worse" than the "Potemkin village" statistics of 90%+ improvements. If the doctor is giving out false information, it really does reduce my excitement to let myself get cut open by him. But I hope that in the next couple months we can get good real information about the course of the post-operative recovery from at least some of the new French patients.
Same here... I hope for detailed posts. If you ever need translation, ask me :) (i use the same username on the french forum, i have a topic there as well).
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

winged_cent wrote:Luckily for us, there actually seems to be a "wave" of patients on the French forum for are getting surgery with Dr. de Bisschop right now, including several on the same day. One of them was able to post on the evening of his morning operation, which suggests that it isn't too terrible. I do wish that their descriptions were a little bit more specific than "everything's going pretty well".

Good news, hoping for some useful info...
2004 Urethral burnings, chronic prostatitis diagnosis, unuseful drugs. Lately added chronic pelvic contracture.
2016 Possover negate Pudendal Neuralgia (no pain elicited on rectal exploration), says problem is more central but MRI- neurography show nothing.
2017 De Bisshop found Oedema/hyperpressure and neurological abnormal response on intrapiriform area, most on sx.
Failed injection blocks.
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

Please, for who speak french, check if there are news in french forum about De Bisshop surgery... Thanks
Failed injection blocks.
winged_cent

Post by winged_cent »

It seems that it is too early to tell. I am in touch with one of them through private message. It looks like 5 weeks after her surgery she still has some post operative pain, though not horrible like some people talk about with the TG surgery.

I also talked with someone by PM who had the surgery in 2015 and he is very happy with the results and essentially feels that he was "cured."

Again, it is hard for me to understand how the "digital/finger release" of the pudendal nerve can create lasting effects with no resection of ligaments. Won't the tissues surrounding the nerve likely return to their prior state with time?
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

winged_cent wrote:It seems that it is too early to tell. I am in touch with one of them through private message. It looks like 5 weeks after her surgery she still has some post operative pain, though not horrible like some people talk about with the TG surgery.

I also talked with someone by PM who had the surgery in 2015 and he is very happy with the results and essentially feels that he was "cured."

Again, it is hard for me to understand how the "digital/finger release" of the pudendal nerve can create lasting effects with no resection of ligaments. Won't the tissues surrounding the nerve likely return to their prior state with time?
Thanks for the updates, I remember that De Bisshop told me via mail "There is never conflict with ligament"...
Failed injection blocks.

Return to “SURGERY”