Colonoscopy PN damage/flare?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
ezer

Re: Colonoscopy PN damage/flare?

Post by ezer »

Bob123, pre-cancerous polyps have nothing to do with somatization disorders. I did not cure a physical disease with the mindbody technique. The pain was the disease.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Bob123

Post by Bob123 »

Ezer,

There's nothing from Bob123 appearing on the forum re your polyps.

I did make a short post . However I deleted it shortly afterwards thinking perhaps it may have been a bit too direct.

So it's gone.

Cheers Bob123.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Bob123, I am not asking you to agree with me. If a particular treatment improves your symptoms then it is wonderful. The more power to you. If my mindbody practice helps one person then I am absolutely thrilled too.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Bob123

Post by Bob123 »

Hi Ezer,

If you are cured then I agree that's absolutely great. A victory is a victory and should be celebrated. And it's only natural to want to share your method of success with others.

Cheers Bob123
Thunderman69

Post by Thunderman69 »

I can tell you that beyond a shadow of a doubt the Colonoscopy that I had in April 2012 either tremendously aggravated or CAUSED my pudendal issues that I still have to this day.
Ironically, I have been going through all my medical records dating back to when I initially got sick in Feb 2012, in order to complete my SSDI application. At the beginning of my adventure with PNE, I was originally diagnosed with prostatitis and the ER doctor at the time noted that my prostate was the size of a small "Pear". So, I was given a month of heavy duty antibiotics. By the end of March 2012 the prostate was back to normal size however I had some lingering pain that just wouldnt resolve itself so my GP sent me for a routine Colonoscopy just to cover the bases. . .
In my pain journal, I have noted the the colonoscopy caused me SEVERE crippling pain and within 3 days I was in the ER with crushing rectal pain. They did CT Scans and an Ultrasound and couldnt find anything wrong... Typical of a pudendal issue!
That horrible pain that I got AFTER THE COLONOSCOPY STILL HAUNTS ME TODAY! I am bedridden most of the time and have suffered many pain flares since (the last one in December 2014 which I am still in bed from).
My GP and Pain Mgmt doctors have maintained over the last 3 years the opinion that it would have been impossible for a colonoscopy to have caused my PN. However, I have always been troubled about this and its always in the back of my mind BUT there are literally a dozen different events in my life that could have caused my PN issue. I am constantly debating if it was this or that.. Was it the fall off a jet ski in 2011? Maybe the fall down a tree in 2006? Or was it the horrible case of adult chicken pox when I was 22 years old that did it (that was a theory floated by an RN at the Cleveland Clinic)... Could it have been the time I was squatting 300 pounds in my basement the summer before and I felt that weird lightning bolt pain in my arse? Who knows?
That all being said, I know that I can definitively say that I got 1000 times worse AFTER the colonoscopy. So, even IF I did have PN before the colonoscopy, I would say that it made it worse. In fact, it turned it into a disabling life changing disease.Just my experience so take it for what it is, but if I had to do it over I WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE A COLONOSCOPY!
Symptoms started officially on Feb 21, 2012 w/no known cause! Multiple pain flares, ER Visits and tests (had 3T MRI in New York by Hollis Potter). Inconclusive MRI, but finally diagnosed with PN in 2013. Boston Scientific SCS implant surgery done on May 3, 2013.. SCS Implant no longer effective in relieving pain. Condition has deteriorated rapidly since a fall off a ladder in March 2014 (suffered trimalleolar fracture of right ankle). Surgery Consult with Dr. Conway scheduled for June 4. 2015.
April

Post by April »

Hi Everyone,

I just scheduled a routine colonoscopy without thinking very much about what this could mean for my pn (hard to believe, I know!). I'm at the age where a routine colonoscopy is recommended. I don't have any family members with colon cancer, although both a parent and a much older sibling have polyps. How have others calculated this risk? My pn is on the perineal branch only, so I thought I might be okay, but now I'm not sure. Did those of you who got one and suffered have problems in the rectal branch beforehand? Or, did this procedure introduce the rectal pn pain? Are there some of you who have had one and *not* had any additional problems?

Thanks,
April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I had a colonoscopy several years after PNE surgery. My perineal branch was affected the most by PNE and I haven't had much rectal involvement. The colonoscopy caused a minor temporary flare-up.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
April

Post by April »

Thanks, Violet. So even several years after a successful surgery, you had a flare. That's good to know. I'm leaning toward postponing it for a year or so, although I just learned about the virtual colonoscopy, so I'm also going to look into that to see if that is an alternative that is available.

Thanks,
April
April

Post by April »

Hi Everyone,

I've been meaning to post an update to this for a while. I did go ahead with the regular colonoscopy in July, and I had no flare. And I'm glad I did the regular colonoscopy (instead of the virtual colonoscopy), because they found two two polyps (pre-cancerous), and if I had done the virtual colonoscopy, they would have had to do a regular one anyway to remove the polyps. So, if others are considering these options, you may want to just go ahead and do the regular one.

April
Laura

Post by Laura »

I had a colonoscopy done in 2017. I had waited too long since my last colonoscopy and one of the polyps had turned cancerous. He was able to remove it and needed no further treatment. I did get a much needed lecture on waiting so long in between colonoscopies being I tend to develop polyps. I had no pn flare up from the procedure but that’s just me. I’m going through a flare up right now but it’s due to a whole other long story.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”