Piriformis Syndrome and/or Pudendal Neuralgia?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
ddecicco767

Piriformis Syndrome and/or Pudendal Neuralgia?

Post by ddecicco767 »

Hello all,

I've been searching online for information about these two conditions because I've spent the last 4 or 5 months dealing with them in some way. Initially I noticed extreme soreness in my tailbone immediately following a heavy-lifting workout that involved my glutes and groin. It was painful to sit on the tailbone for about 2 weeks but eventually subsided. After that pain went away, I noticed a stinging pain on both sides of my lower buttocks, essentially where the buttocks meet the thigh. I did some searching online for an explanation and it sounded like Piriformis Syndrome. I started doing stretches for PS and it seemed to just make things worse. I kept at it thinking maybe I just needed to do it long enough for the muscle to acclimate. One day a whole host of new symptoms cropped up -- I was having a burning pain on the inside thighs, pain above and around the pelvic bone that shot up into my lower abdominals, burning pain in my scrotum and around my anus and occasionally a pain that shoots into the tip of my penis. Is it possible for the Piriformis muscle to be related to all of this? Or could it be that the tailbone pain and original buttock pain are actually from the pudendal nerve? I live in NYC and, after seeing one useless doctor after another, am in search of help specifically for these kinds of issues in the area. Any information would be a godsend.
Joe house

Re: Piriformis Syndrome and/or Pudendal Neuralgia?

Post by Joe house »

Hello
Look up pelvic floor dysfunction maybe if you were lifting you did something to it. Your pelvic floor involves your tailbone, rectum, perineum, scrotum up to your pubic bone and can also cause complication and referred pain in your hip, legs, lower back, abdominals and cause pain in your penus. It also causes major problems with my adductor. It can cause constipation and you may feel that you have to urinate more.

The other thing maybe a herniated disc l2 or l3 and t11 can cause groin pain but with that said I have read that other herniated disc close to these can still refer pain too to these areas. Your hips and SI joints can refer pain to your groin and other areas as well. Or if you are like me you can have more than one issue I have SI joint issue, herniated discs, and pelvic floor issues.. all thanks to a lifting injury. I am assuming you have been checked for a hernia and there also is something called a sports hernia which is a small tear and you need to find a Surgeon that knows about it and will order an MRI. I hope this helped house
ddecicco767

Post by ddecicco767 »

Thanks for the reply Joehouse. So you've had the same symptoms after lifting? Which particular exercise(s) were you doing? Right before I had the tailbone pain and all the other symptoms that followed I was doing squats, deadlifts and barbell rows a few times a week for about 4 months. The pain in my tailbone came immediately after deadlifting so I figured it was all tied to that. I was doing stretches for the piriformis muscle and it only made things worse it seemed.

I recently had an X-ray and MRI and both came up negative in terms of disc herniations. Hadn't had anyone look into a sports hernia. I've been assuming this was related to muscle problems in the area.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Just want you to know sports hernias can be difficult to diagnose. Took 9 years and a special MRI to get my diagnosed. Dr. Meyers at the Vincera Institute in Philadelphia is one of the leaders in sports hernia diagnosis and repair. I've not seen him personally but someone else in the group.

You could have a spasming obturator internus muscle. Maybe an evaluation by a pelvic floor physical therapist might help figure out if there are muscle imbalances contributing too or causing the problem.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
ddecicco767

Post by ddecicco767 »

I suppose a sports hernia is possible. I'm currently looking into PTs in my area that specialize in pelvic pain to see if I can get any answers. So far the pain hasn't been unbearable, I just worry that it will get progressively worse over time. I'm a young man (29 turning 30) and I love to exercise so I'm hoping it isn't something I deal with long term and that limits me physically.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”