second block questions

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Chex

second block questions

Post by Chex »

I have had one bilateral block done in Feb. I had a bad flare after and horrible back pain. I am booked for a second block in July. Could my reactions be different to this block? I have read that 3 blocks are needed? How far apart are they usually done? I'm so afraid of that flare again.
Violet M

Re: second block questions

Post by Violet M »

Hi Chex,

Each of my blocks was a bit different so a flare with one doesn't guarantee a flare every time but I understand your concern and I don't blame you for being a bit nervous about it. Do you think the steroid is what caused the flare-up? Some people do respond badly to the steroids.

Typically the surgeons like you to have 3 blocks before heading to surgery. Are you thinking of going the surgery route or are you just having the blocks in hopes of getting some pain relief? I've not seen many people post on the forum of permanent pain relief from nerve blocks.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Chex

Post by Chex »

I was not thinking of surgery since a hysterectomy surgery is what put me in this position. I was hoping for permanent pain relief with out the need for meds. I do not think the surgery is done in canada
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chex, the docs I know usually give the blocks 4-6 weeks apart. Hopefully you will be lucky and get permanent relief from them. Maybe you could ask the doc what percentage of his patients get permanent relief.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
shana

Post by shana »

I'm seeing Dr. Conway in July and he sent me for nerve blocks before I see him. Since I did not react to good to them and I didn't have much relief he said not to bother going for a third...so I don't think there is really a definitive number necessary, I think each person is different
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis