Had my first Nerve Block and Feel Awful

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
SarahL

Had my first Nerve Block and Feel Awful

Post by SarahL »

Hi all.
Was Dxd with PN by Dr. Conway and sent to a pain clinic in the Boston area. Since most of the oral meds don't really seem to work on my pain--or I cannot tolerate them, the pain doc decided to do epidural blocks on 2, 3, 4, of my sacrum. That was yesterday. I went in so hopeful….

Within hours, I had a horrible headache--still have one--and a pain flare. The doc says this happens and that it normally takes 3-7 days to begin to feel relief. I am nauseated--I think because of the pain--and wondering if I have made the right choice. I guess I'll know soon enough.

Any coping ideas would be most welcome as well as opinions on the use of steroids (a "tiny" dose, according to the doctor) along with the lidocaine that was used in the injections. I also have a small fever and suspect most of my symptoms are from the steroid. Feeling disheartened. I was led to believe that I would find immediate relief--or perhaps I misunderstood. Thanks for listening! Blessings!
Violet M

Re: Had my first Nerve Block and Feel Awful

Post by Violet M »

Hi Sarah,

I would let the physician know about the headache if it continues. It can be a sign of the dura being punctured and may required further treatment. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3629353/

I'm sorry you didn't get immediate relief. Some people do have flare-ups after epidurals so please don't be too concerned at this time, and be sure to take pain medication if you have some. Ice to the area might help too. If the flare-up continues, I would request an MRI. Please let us know how things go for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
SarahL

Post by SarahL »

Thanks, Violet. Today is day 5 and the headache is gone and my pain has returned to my "usual" level of about a 5/6 with medication. Ice packs are my constant companions… As is my seat cushion.

I was hoping to find some relief; they told me I would between 3-7 days, but as the days pass, I wonder if this was a waste of my time. Most days I am hopeful, but I have been in chronic pain for almost 2 years now and I am disappointed that the injections seem not to have made any difference at all--so far.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sarah, glad you are over the flare-up. I agree, it seems like you should have had some pain relief by now. :( Before going through that again you might want to read about the risks of epidural steroid injections and the risk of arachnoiditis. I have a friend who developed arachnoiditis after a steroid epidural and it's not something you want to have.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”