Block done Vaginally Safe?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
LindseyD

Block done Vaginally Safe?

Post by LindseyD »

My dr. wants to do a pudendal nerve block done vaginally into the pudemdal.nerve thr same way he would give a pregnant women. But he hasent done much for someone with just pudendal neuralgua. It wouldnt be ct guided,witg anesthesia or anytjing. I am concerned if I should go through with it from someone who knows of PN but not extremely familar with it. Not to mention, its not just my PN,its lots of its surrounding nervrs as its affecting lots of things. Im concerned it will make my vagjnal symptoms worse. Including pgad...
Violet M

Re: Block done Vaginally Safe?

Post by Violet M »

They used to do PN blocks vaginally all the time for women delivering babies. The physician can feel the ischial spine bone and inject there because that is near to where the nerve typically runs. The risk of getting worse from nerve blocks is very small but no one can guarantee that it won't happen, not even someone who is very experienced.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
LindseyD

Post by LindseyD »

Violet M wrote:They used to do PN blocks vaginally all the time for women delivering babies. The physician can feel the ischial spine bone and inject there because that is near to where the nerve typically runs. The risk of getting worse from nerve blocks is very small but no one can guarantee that it won't happen, not even someone who is very experienced.

Violet
Is there a safer method of doing the blocks? Potential to make vaginal issues worse?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I doubt any studies have been done to show which is the safest method to do a block. Either way, a needle is placed near the nerve and medication is injected. Your reaction to the block might depend as much on what medication is used as to what approach is used.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

If you want a nerve block that's likely to be accurately delivered you might want to read how Dr. Redmond does them using nerve stimulation. http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/58#SC
A nerve block done the old fashioned way without any guidance is less likely to be delivered accurately. I can't say which is safer but one using nerve stimulation would be considered more accurate.

Violet

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”