Now what

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
stcyt123

Now what

Post by stcyt123 »

I will try to be concise.

PN set in in november possibly coinciding with first hsv2 outbreak (antivirals have no effect)
Im 50 yearold healthy female

PT says there is severe pelvic floor tension and ive gotten some very slow relief through pt at times
Recently i have had 1 bilateral and 1 unilateral pudendal blocks with steroids
I was fully anestesized and pain free for 24 hours and some relief from steroids later but not total

Today i had the superior gastric nerveblock with no relief

I am wondering if i should ask for another bilateral pudendal block since steroid effect is thought to be cumulative?

Thanks so much for your input
Violet M

Re: Now what

Post by Violet M »

It's hard to say because I noticed from your other post that you had a major flare-up several days after a nerve block. Did that settle down and eventually leave you somewhat better than before the block? If so, then maybe it's worth it to try another one but if you aren't better than before that first block maybe it's not a good idea. Too many steroid blocks (more than 3) can damage the nerve according to Prof Robert in France so I'm not a big fan of too many nerve blocks. I did not get any permanent relief from a series of 3 but according to the docs, some people do.

I know it's a tough decision and I wish I could give you a more definite answer. It's probably a good idea to follow your instincts on this.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stcyt123

Post by stcyt123 »

Hi Violet

I am not on here much so i didnt see your reply
Sorry for the slow reply. Thank you for responding. You actually answered my other question in my most recent post. I am starting to fet some relief from the nerve blocks and was wondering if it was safe to do more than 3
Thanks again for your response

Stacey
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Stacy,

Are you sure the relief you are getting is from the blocks and not just the calming of the nerve over time? How long since you have had your last one? Maybe if you have changed your lifestyle, such as limiting sitting and avoiding other pain triggers, the nerve is quieting down. Just a thought.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
stcyt123

Post by stcyt123 »

Thanks Stephani

This could very well be accurate. I am in PT twice a week going on 7 months now. My PT says when i first came my pelvic floor was like a boulder
She says it is still very tight but much improved. I actually think the trigger point injections i got helped alot but i couldnt tolerate very much. Most pain i have ever experienced.

Thanks for your response
kathleencjustice

Post by kathleencjustice »

this post was helpful.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

stcyt123 wrote:Hi Violet

I am not on here much so i didnt see your reply
Sorry for the slow reply. Thank you for responding. You actually answered my other question in my most recent post. I am starting to fet some relief from the nerve blocks and was wondering if it was safe to do more than 3
Thanks again for your response

Stacey
Sorry for the late reply, Stacey. It's been a busy summer.

I am not a big fan of repeated nerve blocks because I know several people who got worse long-term from them. If you are getting better it might be less risky to continue the PT and lifestyle changes and wait for the nerve to heal. For the same reason, you might want to hold off on more trigger point injections too.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”