failed nerve blocks

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
April

failed nerve blocks

Post by April »

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to join the chorus of others who’ve had failed nerve blocks. I did two, one in Phoenix at Hibner’s hospital four months ago and one locally six weeks ago. Neither created any reduction in pain (beyond a few hours of anesthetic-induced numbness). And both created a flare (accelerating my decline (the first one) or reversing what seemed like some improvement in my symptoms (the second one)). I had been putting off the nerve block for ages, because so many on this forum had no luck with it. I even presented the local doctor with the Labat et al. 2017 study that suggests this is not an effective pn treatment (I brought in a copy and summarized it for him), but he dismissed the findings. I didn’t buy his dismissal and critiqued his critiques but, unfortunately, I still went forward with it. So, I just wanted to share my story for others who are considering this option. Perhaps it was sensible to try it once, but I do regret the second one.

April
Last edited by April on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJR

Re: failed nerve blocks

Post by RJR »

Hi April and all,

I can only share thoughts based on my experience. And am sure outcome depends on degree of entrapment and other factors.

Dr. Jan Fritz (Johns Hopkins) studied under Dr Hollis Potter (HSS) and is Pudendal-smart. He is able to place the steroid with extreme precision - even between scar tissue and the nerve, thereby bathing the nerve to attain the intended benefit. He uses MRI guidance to best visualize location and proof of delivery. As we know MRI uses non-ionizing radiation and therefore safe. He also requires the patient to remain in a prone position for 1 hour after injection to allow the steroid to absorb into the target tissue...other doctors have you vertical right after the procedure and, in my case, gravity caused the steroid and numbing drug to migrate down to my leg (i.e., waste of steroid).

Best,
Bob
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Simon94

Re: failed nerve blocks

Post by Simon94 »

Welcome to forum dear!! I hope you find what you are looking for..

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”