Dr. Conways Post-Op Guidelines

Dr Quesada - Nerve Blocks and Diagnostics including Pain Management = New Hampshire
Lernica

Re: Dr. Conways Post-Op Guidelines

Post by Lernica »

Oh, like what I'm doing right now on the end of my couch!. :o Maybe it should be called "scouching"? lol :lol:
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Lernica wrote:What's "scooching"??
Oh, "scootching" is what I call modified bending. From the standing position, bend the knees a little bit to scootch down to reach .... whatever. Then I'll lean a little to the left or right, depending on what I need to reach. Yes, I do have a grabber, but that only goes so far. ;)
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Dear Karyn,
It will improve with time. :D

Warmest of Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Dear Ali,
Thank you for your words of confidence and encouragement. I agree with you that I'll continue to improve with time! It's so nice to have someone who believes in you! You've been a blessing to me with your friendship, support, comfort and encouragement. Thank you, Ali!
Warmest of regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
river133

Post by river133 »

Well, I guess it is back to the couch for me.. I can not believe this. but it makes sense to me and I should have known better.. I do the glideing and Karyn, I will go back and check on your email where you talk about the sliding .. We put our dog to sleep bacause she just had too many issues being a rescue dog.. It was really hard , she was at least 11 or 12. We gave her the best two and a half years of her life, She was just too much to handle..
Back to square one.... :( Ellie
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ellie,
I'm so sorry you're still not feeling better. I sent you a personal email with the post op guidelines - please follow them!
I'm also very sorry about Molly. You were a great Mom to her and she was very lucky to have such a loving family. I'm sure you'll miss your walks together.
About the gliding exercises: I thought you explained to me that you lie on back and bring your knee up to your chest? Is this correct? That sounds more like lower back stretches to me, and if that's the case, please stop doing that right away, too. Not only are you stretching your lower back, but your pulling/stretching everything that's trying to heal in your butt.
If you're doing something other than what I described for the gliding exercises, please clarify for me!
Luv ya lots,
Karyn
river133

Post by river133 »

Pre op and post op my pain level upon waking in the am would be 2 to 3,, UNTIL, I go to the bathroom about 10 minutes later, and I jump right up to between 7 and 8 which is where I am right now at 8 am. I remember reading on here that one Dr. mentioned walk, walk, walk, it promotes healing.. Do any of you remember seeing that? I do not even want to go walking this am and just lie around,, I feel I have really hindered my progress... Well I can not go back but I can certainly behave myself from now on.. Now I am sad and angry at myself...Ellie
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ell,
You're breaking my heart - please cut yourself some slack! ;) I didn't get those guidelines until my 6 week check up and was mildly wondering why my pain levels were increased at night, accompanied by burning that I didn't have prior to the surgery. I was one of those that had 8/9 pain all of the time; off the charts late afternoon/evenings. Prior to surgery, I never had decreased pain in the morning or afternoon. So, I was used to being in pain all of the time, worse at night. I really didn't think much about the elevated pain levels at night because I WAS USED TO IT. Doreen had an excellent suggestion: follow the guidelines to a "T" for a week, and see if that diminishes the evening pain. It was tough, but I did it and she was right.
My biggest problem is standing for hours on end. According to Dr. Conway, prolonged standing puts too much stress on the pelvis, hence aggravating the nerve and the surgical area. Personally, I have a hard time finding that perfect balance between standing and lying down. I try sitting from time to time but never force it.
You're right - walking is good, as long as it's not excessive. And if you don't feel like it, don't push yourself! Your body is telling you that you need to rest. Tomorrow is a new day!
river133 wrote:Pre op and post op my pain level upon waking in the am would be 2 to 3,, UNTIL, I go to the bathroom about 10 minutes later, and I jump right up to between 7 and 8 which is where I am right now at 8 am.
Is this from moving your bowels?
river133

Post by river133 »

Yes and i am never constipated..In fact it is exactly the opposite. I usually go 4 or 5 times a day.. I think I may have to cut back of some of the fruit and veggies... I also take miralax.. I just went for a 15 min. walk. Any thing I do does not seem to make a difference, so I really need to pay attention to that nerve and do what it wants me to do.. Some days are better than others, but not many so I need to be thankful for that.. :)
Thank you dear Karyn for the list of do nots..Love and thinking of you often. Ellie
tig5

Post by tig5 »

Hi,
My name is Annmarie and I am new to this site. I had bilateral pain on pubic bones for twelve years. On July 3rd 2010 it got 100 times worse. I had a burning/tearing sensation that began on the left leg with the rectal pain being the worse and pain down the upper part of my back thigh; worse upon sitting and walking. The nerve pain became bilateral and also travel down leg to behind the ankles. Pain is constant 24/7 whether laying down, sitting, or walking for almost a year now. MR neurography read by Dr. Filler showed bilateral obturator muscle spasms hitting the pudendal nerve and well as piriformus muscle spasms hitting pudendal and sciatic nerve. I am thinking about having pudendal nerve surgery (the TG approach) with Dr. Conway in NH, but not sure if obturator nerve surgery is the surgery I need to have. Myself and Dr. Conway believe the pudendal nerve surgery is the one to try first, but scary to go through with such an invasive surgery and such a long recovery, if it is not the right surgery for me to have.

I would appreciate anyone thoughts on this. I am very scared and some days feel like I would love to have someone to cut me open ASAP, but then as I read post-op guidelines about not being able to squat or lift anything heavy for a year plus after surgery scares me so much! Again, any thoughts I would appreciate.
Thank you!!!!
Sincerely,
Annmarie
West Roxbury, MA
Marathoner
peroneal pain-1994
1999 ischial tuberosity pains/obturator spasm. Stopped running,did elliptical & wts.
6/2010 right pelvis rotated, got massage,after got rectal burning & pain down legs.Soon Vaginal pain
Tried many PT's, Cold laser therapy, accupunture, ect. from 1994-2011
Trigger points w/Dr.Bailey 8/2010-6/2011
Nerve Blocks w/Dr.Quesada12/2010-9/2011
Bi. Pudendal Decompression surgery via TG Dr.Conway 7/2011
Sciatic,PFCN,Superior Gluteal,Piriformis surgery 1/2012

Return to “Dr Conway - Surgeon - New Hampshire”