ON LINE PETITION RE: MALE PATIENTS AND ABOG

Up and coming news about new ideas, new forums, and other suggestions that we plan to implement in the near future
Karyn

Re: ON LINE PETITION RE: MALE PATIENTS AND ABOG

Post by Karyn »

Thanks, Violet :P
The following message was included in the most recent IPPS Newsletter:

"Men with Pelvic Pain Find a Path to Treatment Blocked by a Gynecology Board" - Pelvic Pain and IPPS Featured in New York Times Article

The International Pelvic Pain Society was recently featured in an article in the New York Times. The article addresses the recent ruling by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology obstetricians and gynecologists are not allowed to treat men. Violation of the ABOG's recent ruling could cause a doctor to lose his or her board certification.

The IPPS already has worked collaboratively with the ABOG to ensure that NO restriction be put on obstetrician/gynecologists to treat chronic pain patients, which had initially been raised as a restriction. IPPS is grateful that the ABOG was prompt in removing this restriction.

IPPS President Stephanie Prendergast, MPT weighed in on the subject, stating "...these gynecologists are better equipped to treat male patients with pelvic pain than most urologists, neurologists, orthopedists, etc."

Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That's great, Karyn! Thanks for the update. :D

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Excellent news, thanks for letting us know.
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
nervyjoe

Post by nervyjoe »

Thank you Karyn!! Well done everyone, we got approx 200 signatures on the petition and from my communication with David Margaulis it was evident that it made a difference.

Any chance you can post a link to the newsletter?
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

You're welcome! :P
Unfortunately, I received a copy of the news letter in a private email. I went to their site: http://pelvicpain.org/index.asp to see if it was posted there, but no. Their latest news letter is dated December 2012. Sorry :(
If anyone wants to send me your private email address via PM, I'd be happy to forward it to you.
Great job with the petition, Joe!!! Thanks so much for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
volcanbird

Post by volcanbird »

ABOG has no update to their definition since November 2013. Can't access 2013 IPPS. Can anyone really verify this 12/24/ 2013 update?
volcanbird

Post by volcanbird »

I have just heard from one of the board members of ABOG. He said there is NO CHANGE in ABOG's policy since November. Not sure what IPPS thinks has been negotiated but ABOG knows nothing about it. Only men, who are in current treatment, are allowed to continue seeing OB/GYN. The board member said he would let me know if there is any change. Sorry guys!
nervyjoe

Post by nervyjoe »

It looks like game over, they have revised the definition for good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/healt ... enisegrady
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Thanks for posting their decsion to finally allow the men to get this much needed help.

Maybe one or the moderators can put this on the homepage and make a lasting tinyurl?

Also I was wondering if this can some time in the future get changed back if we should get back to our other petition for trying to get universities and the other doctors that should have been handling this nerve (neurologist, urologists, etc) and even those who should be aware (colon rectal surgeons, GPs, etc) so we can get better help or at least quicker diagnosis.

Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Janet, I updated the homepage at pudendalhope.org (scroll to the bottom) but I don't think I can make the link permanent either for the ABOG website or the NY Times article.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NEWS & UPDATES”