Hollis Potter Now Giving Great MRI Protocol In Other States

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
helenlegs 11

Re: Hollis Potter Now Giving Great MRI Protocol In Other Sta

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hope you get some answers from the scan. Fingers crossed for you.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hope all goes well for you with the scan and I'm sorry you are also facing a legal battle in addition to your pain.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
jon

Post by jon »

I am trying to get UCSF in San Francisco to start offering scans with this protocol. I've made some headway but no final answer yet.
Left testicle pain since 2008. Left sciatica 2010-2012. Failed left epididectomy, orchiectomy, botox injections, nerve blocks and internal physical therapy. Genital branch of genitofemoral and perineal branch of pudendal nerve cut. L5-S1 microdiscectomy cured sciatica. Dorsal Root Ganglion nerve stimulator failed to help and was removed. I have had 4 pudendal nerve blocks, two from Dr. Poree worked for 2 hrs. The ONLY break from pain ever.
kmerritt

Post by kmerritt »

Wondering what the latest is concerning the Potter MRI protocol being done in other states. I am considering decompression surgery, but haven't had the Potter. Do you think it is necessary or can Dr's go by symptoms only? Not sure if I am entrapped or just have scar tissue.
Burning pain started 11yrs ago mildly. Continuous since 1/13.
MRI hip mild labral hip tear. Multiple dr appts. PT with pelvic therapist. Diagnosed w/ PN by Dr. Nel Gerig. 2 nerve blocks for diagnosis followed by PRFA by Dr. Wright at Denver Pain Mgmt. Need repeat. Dr. Hibner 11/13. Meds: Gabapentin, Valium/Baclofen vag supp, Lorazepam, Nortiptyline, Miralax, Magnesium, stool softeners. Believe PN cause was from very traumatic child birth, fall/fx coccyx, fall on Lt ischael tuberosity.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

It's nice if you can get the MRI but they aren't 100% accurate from what I am hearing. I was diagnosed without it. If you are really not sure of your diagnosis and your pain levels aren't quite to the point where you are willing to risk surgery no matter what, then I can see the MRI as being valuable as a possible tool to give you some additional info.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Lily721

Post by Lily721 »

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. I feel totally confused. After a big to do, I got an MRI at the hospital for special surgery. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know if it was looked at by Potter cause the secy told me that she doesn't always look at all of them, but that her staff is well trained. My gyno went on vacation so I didn't get the results till this week (which she said were 3 pages long and which she doesn't seem to understand) She read me some highlights over the phone 'no pudendal scarring' Varicose Veins near Alcock's canal and scarring on the Levator Ani muscle. I was all excited thinking this could lead to an end to my 16 year long saga of insanity and then I realized I don't know what to do now? Do I make an appointment with Potter to tell me what to do next? Does she see patients? My gyno has made it clear she doesn't know anything about it (my PT told me to get the MRI and the gyno simply wrote out the scrip and seems rather put out to be in the middle of all of it) This sounds crazy but what exactly does one do with the results? I was supposed to receive a faxed copy of the 3 pages but the Dr. either didn't have time or forgot, so, even though I'm practically losing my mind wanting to read them myself, all I have now is the 3 tidbits she read over the phone. What should my next step be? I'm in NYC. Who do I see? I swear, this condition is maddening. I want to try nerve blocks but realized I have no idea who does them. I'm not sure how much more of this insanity I can take.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lily, maybe as a start you can call HSS or your physician's office and ask how you can get a copy right away. You have a right to a copy of your medical records although some places charge a small fee for them. Or maybe HHS or your doctor's office will fax a copy to your PT at no expense to you. It sounds like your PT might be familiar with these MRI's since she recommended it and maybe she will be able to explain it to you. At the very least she should be able to explain the anatomy to you. There are some excellent PT's who treat PN in the NYC area. Hopefully you have one who is experienced in this area. Is PT helping you at all?

Lots of people have pelvic varices without having pelvic pain so that may not really be a conclusive finding as a cause of your pain. The pudendal scarring and scarring on the levator ani muscle may or may not be significant. Unfortunately, pelvic MRI's aren't 100% diagnostic when it comes to pudendal neuralgia and pudendal nerve entrapment. Sounds like you may want to find a doc who understands and treats people with PNE. Your PT might know someone in NYC who treats PNE. Unfortunately, a couple of docs who treated people with PNE in NYC have just retired so I can't tell you the name of a good PNE doc there right now. Hopefully another forum member will know someone.

Since your gyn doesn't seem to have a clue you might want to get established with a pain management doc who will prescribe some medication for you to get the pain under control. In the meantime, temporarily you can use ice packs or heating pad, whichever works, to try to calm down the pain.

Violet
LauenKin

Post by LauenKin »

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering is there a Dr. or Radiologist in Michigan that follows Dr. Potter's protocol?
I am not sure if I am able to travel and I have been battling possible Pudendal Nerve and pelvic scar tissue from Endomitriosis surgery.
Thanks!
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Dr. Filler has an MRN site in Michigan. I don't know how the MRN compares to Hollis Potter's MRI, but his report might provide useful information for you. Unfortunately, Dr. Filler does not (to my knowledge) accept phone calls so pretty much the only thing you get is the report unless you are willing to go to CA for a consultation. Has anyone had the MRI with Dr. Potter, the MRN with Dr. Filler, and/or the MRI read by Dr. Kalinkin at Dr. Hibner's office? It would be interesting to compare the results.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
jaxi123

Post by jaxi123 »

When dr hibner saw my results of dr potter's MRI he said it was normal scar tissue. Dr potter sai I am re entrapped at alcocks canal and sciatic nerve is partially entrapped after second surgery. Now who is right?????

Return to “MRI/MRN”